Hello

used v 4.8 and now 4.9 

3dcoat is highly unstable and just seems to take forever to do some tasks

7980xe

128 GB ram

windows 10 pro

titan RTX

hardware shouldn’t be an issue 

Can you be more specific....maybe even do a screen recording. OBS is always a good free screen recorder. Upload it to Youtube (you can choose to make the upload PRIVATE, so only people with the link can see it). That will help us see what the root of the problem is.

In the mean time, try to follow these steps to make sure they aren't causing the issues

1) Close the app > go to your DOCUMENTS/3DCOAT 4.9 directory and delete the OPTIONS.XML file. Once in a while, a crash or some other issue could corrupt that file and make 3DCoat exhibit bug-like behavior.

2) Install the latest version 4.9.05 (the SL version has Sculpt Layers which is still in a Beta State)

3) Install the latest drivers for your graphic card. A bad driver can cause lags and other strange behavior

4) Install the latest Wacom tablet drivers (assuming you have one). That too can cause lag or issues if the driver is bad or has gotten corrupted somehow.

5) Make sure the 3DCoat.exe file is added to your EXCEPTION list in your Anti-Virus and Firewall software. I've had my AV make 3DCoat unable to open once. I thought it was the application, but it turns out the AV was blocking it.

• Reputable Contributor

Can you test on a sample object from the splash screen, to see if it still occurs. If not, that means the file you are working with is corrupted, somehow. You can send that to support through the HELP menu. Once it is uploaded, contact support@3dcoat.com and let them know you just sent it and what is happening in your scene when you experience these problems.

• Reputable Contributor

I think that mesh has issues and is the source of the problem. It appears to be super dense for one thing. Hard to tell the poly count because the gif was so low res and grainy. I couldn't make out any numbers in the UI.

Possibly some self intersections and/or holes. That is why it's always best to test on a new scene with a sample object or newly created primitive. Another thing you can do when you run into problems with an object like that, is to basically "Dynamesh" it (3DCoat had this feature years before ZBrush) by hitting ENTER. That temporarily voxelizes the object > puts it back into Surface mode, with the polys all nice and even.

Hello 

Both of the crash scenes were created out of primitives in 3D coat. 

The second post’s Geo had no holes. I had just switched to the UV window and it crashed.

And these type of random crashes were occurring in 4.8 and now 4.9 as well.

Edited by Nisachar

• Reputable Contributor
On 8/16/2019 at 5:45 AM, Nisachar said:

Hello 

Both of the crash scenes were created out of primitives in 3D coat. 

The second post’s Geo had no holes. I had just switched to the UV window and it crashed.

And these type of random crashes were occurring in 4.8 and now 4.9 as well.

It doesn't matter what you originally created it with. From that GIF (we cannot see the polycount because it's too grainy/low res), it looks like a lot of LiveClay brushing was done, and that there is some self-intersections going on. Test on a new scene in order to determine if the mesh is the source of the problem. If it's still acting up, email support@3DCoat and send the work file through the HELP menu, so Andrew can take a look at it.