3DCoat Forums

3D Coat and Arnold 3.X

iddiddijit

Hello!

I'm using 3D Coat for a while now, and I completely love this soft for personnal projects. However, recently, I upgraded my maya + arnold and I struggle a lot regarding the new Maya's color management and the new Arnold's aiStandardSurface. Basically, what I used to do with the previous version of Arnold (1.4.X) was to export from 3D Coat the 4 maps from the Arnold Standard workflow preset and import them into an aiStandard. It used to work pretty well and I never had any big issue in the renders, even if sometimes the color management from maya's 2017 could be really tedious and forced me to manually disable it on certain maps (i.e. HDRIs).

However, now, everything's changed with the new aiStandardSurface and I'm completely lost. I can't get the Maya shader similar to the result I had in 3D coat, it's either ultra shiny or ultra soft, and a lot of new attributes names don't make any sense to me (for example, I don't know where the fresnel map should be put in: the spec IOR, coat IOR, coat color...). 

Do you have a guide to properly setup a new Arnold shader from the 3.X releases? 

Thanks a lot in advance!!

Hi, hope this help

On 6/18/2015 at 5:02 PM, 2byts said:

PBR,  is just physically based...which of course all of the offline renderers support.  It is generally not understand that "Metal"  just means Fresnel.

Just the terminology is different. 

For Diffuse/Rough/Metal workflow when using Arnold

Diffuse Texture:  Diffuse and Specular Color of the Shader

Metal Texture:  goes into the Fresnel of the the Shader

Gloss/Rough:  Roughness of the Shader  - you may need to invert the texture when using Arnold because Black=Chrome and White=Lambert

For Diffuse/Gloss/Specular workflow when using Arnold

Diffuse Texture:  Diffuse Color of the Shader

Specular Texture:  goes into the Specular Color of the the Shader

Gloss/Rough:  Roughness of the Shader  - you may need to invert the texture when using Arnold because Black=Chrome and White=Lambert

Because the latter method does not have any control for Fresnel, it would better to use a Metal Texture as well.