3DCoat Forums

Substance Painter style texturing in 3DCoat

yoohasz

To clarify: I really like 3Dcoat and use it as my main and only texturing and sculpting app. I bought it way back in 2010 and have been wanting to go real deep into knowing the software like a real pro. Problem was I worked as an animator, so I didn't *need* it on a daily basis. Now that's changed and I'm all in using it as a main source of income besides blender. So the question arises: can I and how do I paint some Substance style fabulous textures like I see on forums all over in 3DCoat?

I'm convinced that it's possible, you "only" need to know the "quirks and features" (Thanks Doug Demuro) of the app. Cause there are many. I recently challenged myself to paint a tiled landscape texture on a single plane. So in essence, nice hills on a plane and a river running through in the middle. The really bad .gif tries to explain. This is a single layer or two of texture painting and is pretty lousy, but you get the idea of me thinking about that substance painter type of goodness. 

So my question is, has anyone tried this approach with success? What tips and tricks should we know about to proceed?

Thanks, cheers! 

substance.gif

Edited by yoohasz

By the way I am aware of the fundamental differences of the node based behaviour (substnce) vs the layered approach (3dcoat) I just have faith that with good techniques (clever masking and tweaking smart material settings, or anything I'm not aware of)  we can acheive similar results. I'm not exactly that keen on acheiving non destructive materials for that matter. Please say so if my goal is too ambitious, or just plain stupid, but always add a reason for your claims.

Cheers.

Hmm, maybe this video is a good explainer (sorry, I couldn't find anything too short). And remember this isn't about changing 3dcoat into substance, although I might have read soemething about Andrew working on a nodal system (sorry if I'm mistaken).

• Advanced Member
On 8/20/2019 at 2:46 PM, yoohasz said:

By the way I am aware of the fundamental differences of the node based behaviour (substnce) vs the layered approach (3dcoat) I just have faith that with good techniques (clever masking and tweaking smart material settings, or anything I'm not aware of)  we can acheive similar results. I'm not exactly that keen on acheiving non destructive materials for that matter. Please say so if my goal is too ambitious, or just plain stupid, but always add a reason for your claims.

Cheers.

Substance Painter has a layer approach not a node approach. Do you mean Substance Designer?

• Advanced Member
On 8/21/2019 at 12:09 PM, yoohasz said:

Hmm, maybe this video is a good explainer (sorry, I couldn't find anything too short). And remember this isn't about changing 3dcoat into substance, although I might have read soemething about Andrew working on a nodal system (sorry if I'm mistaken).

There a videos which explain the material system of 3D Coat. I think this would be a good start.

Some tutorials:

Yes. I stand corrected. Designer is what I meant. Not painter. 3Dcoat has similar power to painter I imagine. Thanks! I'm just mesmarized by unlimited resolution (procedural stuff) combined with manual assistance if needed.