3DCoat Forums

Tinker's sketchbook

Tinker

• Contributor

Good day)

Its my first model with volumetric sculpting, done with simple build brush most.

The target is to try 3D-Coat realtime model creation pipeline: voxel sculpting-topology-uv-some painting-baking-export to 3d engine (if all ok, maybe some rigging in C4D)

Concept is my interpretation of Tsutomu Nihei's design of "safeguard" cyborgs from sci-fi manga "Blame", with their ball looking joints and organic bones style shapes.

All disign was done just on the fly from primitive sphere, you can see after starting voxsel sculpt :) Its head now, all other parts just pulled form, and legs made with "spikes" intstrument. I increased voxel resolution 2 times during sculpt.

Ok, some images now :)

start:

post-1407-1237818994_thumb.jpg

medium detail (jones moved to separate object)

post-1407-1237819042_thumb.jpg

Final detail.

post-1407-1237819241_thumb.jpg

Just started retopology:

post-1407-1237819393_thumb.jpg

Thats all for now. Thank you!

• Advanced Member

looks cool, Im also interested in gettin 3d coat into my workflow more but I think the interface needs to be finished and the brushes more refined before I can really use it instead of zbrush/mudbox.

• Advanced Member
Thank you! I dont know if its the resolution: 164 306 pointers and 8 149 168 triangles.

UV:

post-1407-1237895639_thumb.jpg

Very very efficient UV map. What's the disortion like (if you have used another program to measure that)? Nice retopo too.

• Contributor

Hi All, im back :)

Thank You for your comments! Special great thanks to Andrew!!! With amazing merge algo improvements Andrew made, its possible go on with pipeline now.

Ok, let's see what we have now. Model successfully merged into scene with 3D-Coat 3 Alpha 70. Some tiny 5 minutes correction holding shift.

post-1407-1238333492_thumb.jpg

This is realtime original low-poly topology with normal map, imported "for per pixel painting". It has occlusion, some colored ambience, simulated with layer blending, and blank 50% gray texture 2048x2048. Its the canvas i will paint on. Its already baked, so no more baking, no more distortions, smoothing edges in photoshop etc. All changes will be exactly the same as on final in-game object. Its very powerful workflow, i guess.

post-1407-1238334312_thumb.jpg

• Advanced Member
Thank you, GED :) Its 4090 polys, 7952 with triangulate. No error cleaning in photoshop, just some curves correction for AO.

Low-poly with texture:

post-1407-1238489184_thumb.jpg

Looks great as a regular sort of bug (a bit towards the rotting undead bug end), but not very biomechanical if that's what you were going for.

• Contributor

Thanks! yes, no biomechanic at all, its more like headcrab from hl :) i didnt expect it, 3D-Coat guided me to it, with its tools :)

New creature. Its still WIP. Doom3 looking :)

post-1407-1238530667_thumb.jpg

Its spine preapeired for instal some implants. Some tubes made in C4d, droped on voxel field :)

post-1407-1238530686_thumb.jpg

Maybe armor

post-1407-1238530709_thumb.jpg

Front view. Not very detailed:

post-1407-1238532424_thumb.jpg

• Applink Developer

This could be a very good idea. I think that it is very important that when 3d-coat v3 release is getting closer that we could have some master pieces to show the real power. I know that it is a little bit hard when there all the bugs and missing features but It's already starting to look a real pro program. This game project could be one idea. Maybe we could do a scene or simple animation, where would be many models by different users or something like that.

• Advanced Member
This could be a very good idea. I think that it is very important that when 3d-coat v3 release is getting closer that we could have some master pieces to show the real power. I know that it is a little bit hard when there all the bugs and missing features but It's already starting to look a real pro program. This game project could be one idea. Maybe we could do a scene or simple animation, where would be many models by different users or something like that.

Yeah... but an animation would be a lot more work than a themed game mod (UT3 maybe? Crysis? HL2?). As far as bugs are concerned, I haven't found that many outside of DP. Using microvert paint has been relatively uneventful (other than positive).

• Contributor

Nice idea, psyborgue, but im afraid i cant take part, have not so much free time.

At the begining i promised to test full model pipline from scratch wih 3D-Coat. Ok :)

Model rigged and simple animated in c4d, inserted into freeware game engine (http://www.panda3d.org)

It supports parallax bumpmapping, using color, normal, height, occlusion and specular maps. As you can see all transfered quite ok :)

Swing befire attack:

post-1407-1238804753_thumb.jpg

Fast forward move:

post-1407-1238804773_thumb.jpg

Top view:

post-1407-1238804820_thumb.jpg

Yep, some stretches on animation, i didnt really look forward while sculpting it. Anyway that stretchy attack is fast, so nothing bad can bee seen :)

• Advanced Member
Thanks! yes, no biomechanic at all, its more like headcrab from hl :) i didnt expect it, 3D-Coat guided me to it, with its tools :)

New creature. Its still WIP. Doom3 looking :)

Its spine preapeired for instal some implants. Some tubes made in C4d, droped on voxel field :)

Maybe armor

Front view. Not very detailed:

Not very detailed? LOL!

Seriously, I would love to see some more of your workflow on this. It's really fantastic work. And this is a preliminary stage of sculpting for you? Very nice indeed!

-Oliver

• 3 months later...