3DCoat Forums

Tinker's sketchbook

Tinker

Hi! Im back and working now on new model, started some days ago. Its far from complete but hope you like it :)

post-1407-1247700752_thumb.jpg

Yes, this one looks really cool. Hope you will finish him completely. :)

I like the "killerbug" in the upper part, too.

• Contributor

To be honor, at the same time i have C4D open, making there greebles, very simple hard edged details. Then adding them to voxel stamps folder and using to cut and add to model. I discovered true power of boolean operations. Thing, that in classical 3d all skilled users avoid, flourish in voxel scene :)

You can easy use any 3d program for greebles, like Blender or Silo, all you need - only basic 3d functions, like extrude and vertexes move.

It would be great to have them directly in 3D-Coat of couse..

• Contributor
To be honor, at the same time i have C4D open, making there greebles, very simple hard edged details. Then adding them to voxel stamps folder and using to cut and add to model. I discovered true power of boolean operations. Thing, that in classical 3d all skilled users avoid, flourish in voxel scene :)

You can easy use any 3d program for greebles, like Blender or Silo, all you need - only basic 3d functions, like extrude and vertexes move.

Wicked idea, yes that will work wonders with voxel volumes what a wonderful approach. I said it b4 I'll say it again 3D Coat requires a different approach, and here is some of the proof pudding!! nice

Really interesting. Yes, slowly new workflows appears. I am interested, which kind of workflows will come in the future in combination with voxels and other current tools. :)

• Contributor

Thank you! Im happy you like it :)

Some work on bottom and back left and than topology and texturing.

I didnt use any reference images, just invented it on the go. Love 3D-Coat's freedom to make spontaneous designs.

I use C4D as well but aside from that it would be extemely helpful and I'm sure I'm not the only one here that would really appreciate some kind of pictorial or video step by step on this if possible. I understand the basics here but it would be nice to see the actual workflow on this and I think would be very helpful to many of us that are having a hard time getting past the lumpy sculpt stage into doing something like this with a lot of very smooth curves and detail. Did you merge a model into voxel sculpt at all or was it all using voxel sculpt and stamps.

• Advanced Member
I use C4D as well but aside from that it would be extemely helpful and I'm sure I'm not the only one here that would really appreciate some kind of pictorial or video step by step on this if possible. I understand the basics here but it would be nice to see the actual workflow on this and I think would be very helpful to many of us that are having a hard time getting past the lumpy sculpt stage into doing something like this with a lot of very smooth curves and detail. Did you merge a model into voxel sculpt at all or was it all using voxel sculpt and stamps.

He said he made a model in a 3d package and then imported it to voxels. In other words you can use Boolean operations in voxel mode and get very nice results from them. It's a very smart thing he thought of.

So he does this for the inorganic parts and then grabs probably his copy brush to extend a small organic piece from the inorganic parts. I'm totally speculating.

• Contributor

Good show!

Quoting "3D-Coat definitly need subdivs with edge creasing'" - I think I would prefer to keep that area of mesh modelling process outside 3D Coat for precision.

[Edit] - But thats only my opinion, Dont let that distract from the beautiful model!

• Advanced Member
Ok :) let me show you my workflow steps:

post-1407-1247856990_thumb.jpg

As you can see, i cheated a little :) And you can also see why 3D-Coat definitly need subdivs with edge creasing.

Really nice Tinker. I notice the detail is not in step 4 but in Step 5 & 6, so are the details you're getting in steps 5 & 6 saved as displacement map? You aren't retopologizing the model after step 6 are you?

Thank you so much for showing your work flow, this will be immensely helpful. I have the same question as Paintguy, is your final model a voxel render or have you projected your voxel sculpt as a displacement down onto your original retopo and is this even possible, I'm guessing you would have to retopo again given the fact that you would lose some of the angles of the details since displacement can only take you so far.

• Contributor

Im going to make exact new retopo, and bake normal map, than make texture.

Btw, Woohoo! I just replaced my old laggy 7600GT with new shiny GTX 275.

Fantastic performance! This model barely rotated half hidden now just flying. I didnt try CUDA yet, but going to check it out :)

• Contributor

Fantastic performance! This model barely rotated half hidden now just flying. I didnt try CUDA yet, but going to check it out :)

Yes High spec consumer cards do work nicely I have 275 in my office system and a 295 on my home system, and although I get got far less ram on my home system the 295 makes 3d coat fly. I used to own a quadro 4000 and felt completely cheated by its performance to value ratio, so its consumer all the way for me from now on!! 10th the price, it makes sense!!

CUDA is like "heaven on earth" in 3DC! Believe me, you will not trust your eyes! :)

And thank you for the workflow example. This is a really useful tip!

Ok, im guilty played "Dead Space" on new hardware instead of modeling yesterday :)

As for model, i think i have finished with sculpting now:

post-1407-1247983846_thumb.jpg

Retopo and texturing ahead.

Really nice! I am curious to see the texture workflow. :)