3DCoat Forums

A question about vertex painting by someone totally new to it

L'Ancien Regime

• Advanced Member

I can see its potential virtues but I'm having a bit of trouble grasping it even with tutorials. For instance, this tutorial;

It says that you're painting on Voxels, apparently mainly in the Sculpt Room with shaders as opposed to PPP or MV painting. Fine. 

VertexPainting01.thumb.PNG.03d2c7048d7d44bb178cc92a74dcf9bf.PNG

But then he starts to work but he's not painting on voxels. He's painting on the surface mesh in the Paint Room. I'm already confused right at the start. Someone please rectify this for me. Maybe I should just proceed as though surface mode was the equivalent of voxel mode? 

Also what is the difference between Micro Vertex and Vertex painting practically?

VertexPainting02.thumb.PNG.a107fce3897d748d438ee06d01bc7e30.PNG

Mainly I want this because I want to work with painting out displacement maps, not normal maps. 

Seek and ye shall find; I solved my own problem

Edited by L'Ancien Regime

That video that shows version 3 is outdated in terminology. Previously Sculpt workspace was called Voxel Room.
We always assign a color to each vertex and paint them in surface mode. 3dc does not paint voxels volumes.
The new beta version 4 with sculpt layers let paint and sculpt at same time. This beta needs to polish the workflow but the results are promising.

• Contributor
2 hours ago, Carlosan said:

That video that shows version 3 is outdated in terminology. Previously Sculpt workspace was called Voxel Room.
We always assign a color to each vertex and paint them in surface mode. 3dc does not paint voxels volumes.
The new beta version 4 with sculpt layers let paint and sculpt at same time. This beta needs to polish the workflow but the results are promising.

That's awesome, I've been requesting a paint and sculpt at the same feature like Voxeland in Unity but more true/advanced like 3DCoat.

Will smart materials work with max tessellation while sculpting to show displacement? This is important because it will allow us to see any displacement interference for example if faces are pushed too far into each other.