3D Coat Forums
Sign in to follow this  
L'Ancien Regime

Gilded perfume bottle

295582524_MondayMorningRender.thumb.jpg.d0e66023f64240391f151ae43292e5f0.jpg

This is more of a proof of concept rather than a finished work at this point. The raised, gilt pattern on the glass was painted using a mouse so that made it pretty damn clumsy to execute; I don't even have so much as a Bamboo tablet right now. I'm waiting to buy a Cintique Pro soon so this will have to do. The glass stopper needs badly to be reworked. Lots of tweaks and experiments to come on photon maps and caustics. But the main thing for this weekend was to simply pull this off to this extent so I'm happy with that.

And again, the Autopo produces impeccable meshes now, particularly in tandem with the Symmetry. I'd hate to have to hand retopo the Boolean hollowed interior of this vessel with a hand retopo.

243634565_PerfumeBottle03_3b.thumb.jpg.0d6886b82f26b50b05510803d8306205.jpg

Edited by L'Ancien Regime
  • Like 1

So I reworked the bottle stopper and in doing so I discovered that a Normal Map is essential to rendering glass. By reworking it's displacement entirely with the normal map in ppp, it just popped, crystalline clear, the way it was supposed to be, not murky or sandblasted as it initially appeared.  To do that with the rest of the bottle I'll have to redo the gold pattern on it using a normal map instead of just a painted displacement identical to the painted gold alpha basically.  Even with just a mouse it should be much better second time round.  I didn't have time for that tonight but I did have time to apply a simple normal map to the .obj slab of amber liquid in the crystal flask.  That and removing some base color blue that was tucked away in the liquid shader's base color made it look a lot more like some kind of perfume and not yesterday's coffee in your secretary's styrofoam cup.

1672650469_ImprovedLiquid.thumb.jpg.5a430775caf4d3913040ee76c00762b0.jpg

• Like 2

Am I ever happy; just getting caustics in my glass renders ended up being a lot easier than I expected though I'm sure with work and experimentation I can get better caustics examples than this.  But I'll take this for now and be happy with it. I've always loved computer graphics renders of fine glass work, like high end magazine ads for perfume bottles, and now the way is open to have a hell of a lot of fun in the immediate future. And you know, adding caustics and making the carafe, it's stopper and the wine photon targets seems to have done something to it all. The glass has an extra smoothness to it, the wine has a more real quality to it.  I suspect adding more photons to the mix will give a purer caustic casting of red light onto the ground than it has now with its blotches of white in there.

oubLkTa.jpg

And I'm finding that in objects like this, it's not even worth your while to retopo them (AUTOPO or manually) and then extract maps. Just switch them over from voxel to surface mode, do an automatic poly reduction on export and render them as is. After all your render engine is going to take whatever you throw at it, be it NURBS, BREP or SubD polygons with maps and it's going to just winnow them down to mini triangle polys in their hundreds of thousands anyway, so why even bother with all the extra procedures if you're not working with something that requires a lot of maps? This just takes 15 minutes to create, set up, and render.

And it's always a good idea to shrink your liquid object a tiny bit so there won't be any artifacts from an intersection between the transparent container and it's liquid contacts that will produce unpleasant artifacts in the render.

eg. tumbler's scale; .01

whiskey object scale; .0098

Wh2v5X9.png

dm7nzfX.jpg

cIGFkip.jpg