3DCoat Forums

[Solved] Transparent edges

JanCZ

Hi guys,

im not experienced in 3D, so bare with me please, im looking for a way how to make edges of my model slowly dissappearing, i.e. to edit there 
alpha channel. But I dont want to do it manually with some sort of pencil, but would be really great to apply some mask or to define an area.

So the result would be a model with "soft", slowly disappearing edges, not with hard ones..

Is it possible in any way?

Thanks a lot.
Jan

Hi Carlos, thanks a lot for a reply. Just not sure if this is the right thing for my purpose. I attached two images: on the first one is the current state with the hard edges, on the second one is the desired state. The edges should be transparent, so not just painted to the background color. I just edit the images in photoshop...

Thanks a lot

3dcoat_1.jpg

3dcoat_2.jpg

Just one more "little" thing... now its perfect in 3DCoat, but how do I export that? I have a model with 4 texture jpg's, but its exported with black instead of transparency... Of cource, I know, jpg's doesnt support transparency. When I export it as a png's, it is transparent. But png's are much bigger and not useable for my puporse. Is there any way how to achive transparence with jpg's? Some kind of other separate texture file that would define transparency layer... 

Thanks

Sure, my goal is to have GLTF file with baked in textures and transparency files. Im showing it in browser in WebGL (Threejs) engine. Well, if something like this is even possible. I mean to have the separate transparency files there. 

So my last question was how to put it together. When I can now export the model with transparency files or rgb textures. 

Thanks

• Advanced Member

I work with GLTF also, which program are you exporting from?  Blender?  You might also try Marmoset toolbag.

I've had trouble with transparencies exporting from Blender before, but was a friend was able to fix it by opening up the glTF file in Visual Studio Code and adjusting some of the settings.  Not sure exactly what he did though.

@Andrew Shpagin, it would be great to have direct glTF export from 3DCoat, ideally import too.

• Advanced Member

@JanCZ, you might try using pngs instead of jpgs for the alpha textures.  I'm not sure if it will make a difference, but worth a try.  A jpg alpha map should work in theory if it's just a black and white image though.

• Carlosan changed the title to [Solved] Transparent edges