3DCoat Forums

[Fixed] AUTO retopo crashes 3dcoat on OSX

Hi! I use 3D coat 4.9.02 (GL64) Trial version on my iMac Pro with MacOS Mojave version 10.14.6 (18G95). Everytime i try AUTO retopo 3D Coat crashes when i click the third "Next" dialog button.

It does not matter if i choose a very simple shape or not. I get the same crashes on a different Mac Book Pro too. I can export to .obj and run Instant Meshes without problems though.

Is this a known bug?

//Anders

Hi

Hope this help

On 7/1/2017 at 2:20 PM, SERGYI said:

"3D-Coat" crashes because macOS isolates "3D-Coat" executable from its data - typical problem under macOS Sierra. To solve it please do the following:
1. Remove folder "/Applications/3D-CoatV4-7".
2. Make sure that you have checked "System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Allow apps downloaded from: App Store and identified developers" before downloading disk image with "3D-Coat" on your Mac.
3. Download "3D-Coat 4.7.32" for macOS from here and drag & drop it onto "Applications" alias as usually:

In case these 3 steps will not solve the problem then please do these additional steps:
4. In Terminal go into "Downloads" folder:
$ cd ~/Downloads
5. Check extended attributes of downloaded disk image with "3D-Coat 4.7.32".
$ ls -l@ 3D-CoatV4-7-32.dmg
Among them should be "com.apple.quarantine".
6. Delete quarantine attribute:
$ xattr -d com.apple.quarantine 3D-CoatV4-7-32.dmg
7. Check that attribute "com.apple.quarantine" has gone:
$ ls -l@ 3D-CoatV4-7-32.dmg
8. Remove previous folder "/Applications/3D-CoatV4-7". Open in "Finder" this disk image with "3D-Coat 4.7.32" on which you have removed "com.apple.quarantine" attribute and as usual drag & drop it into "Applications" icon.

• Carlosan changed the title to [Bug] AUTO retopo crashes 3dcoat on OSX
  • 4 months later...

I have the same problem with Autopo crashing. I reverted to 4.8.40 as suggested but the crash continued. I have now tried the latest 4.9 beta but still getting the crash. I am working on a Mac Pro 2010 with an AMD RX590 GPU. Mojave 10.14.6. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

By installing old "3DCoat" builds under macOS one-by-one it turned out that between "4.8.38" and "4.8.39" actions "Perform Retopology" and "AUTOPO" had been broken. "3DCoat 4.8.38" is the last build where they are working under macOS (please see attached screenshots):
http://www.pilgway.com/~sergyi/3DCoat/3DCoat-4.8.38.dmg
Currently we are unable to fix them in new "3DCoat" build because for today we have compiled all 1077 source files under macOS and we are going to the second stage of building - linking.

Perform Retopology.jpg

AUTOPO.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • Carlosan changed the title to [Solved] AUTO retopo crashes 3dcoat on OSX
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Carlosan changed the title to AUTO retopo crashes 3dcoat on OSX
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm also using the latest version (OSX 3.9.40), and I'm seeing the same behavior (The program crashes).

All extended attributes are cleared, and the crashes are consistent every time I attempt AUTOPO. 

"Instant meshes" doesn't appear when I right click on the object.

• 1 year later...

I'm getting crashes using the Autoretopo too. On PC, Win 10 64-bit and the latest version. 2021.70.

The instant meshes retopo works, but every item on this object seems to make Autoretopo crash out. :(

Is this a known thing and is it likely to be fixed? I can supply my object, but it is quite a large file.

I have updated to the latest version, and am still getting crashes randomly during UV-unwrapping. 

I managed to retopo using the Instant Meshes method, as it also crashes when doing the retopo. 

I wonder if Andrew would like a copy of my model, so he can trace the problem better? Although it is large (600MB) it'd be a nightmare to load into a debug mode I'd have thought.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/14/2022 at 3:57 PM, Carlosan said:

Yes please send it.

And try latest version 2022.05. Several reported bugs was fixed.

Hey there Carlosan...

I did as you suggested and updated again, and ALL is seemingly well now. No more crashes, although it did once, the first time I opened it. But now i'm retopo-ing and baking and everything, and all seems much more stable. I think these must have been long-standing bugs, as I hit these stumbling blocks a year or more ago, when I began this project. I'm so happy it's been fixed though, now time to upgrade our licenses i think.

• Like 2

• Carlosan changed the title to [Fixed] AUTO retopo crashes 3dcoat on OSX