3DCoat Forums

Photorealism in 3d coat render room

jima

I've been experimenting in the render room with simplistic environment maps in an effort to get photorealistic results.

Is there a particular environment image available to achieve this? I am trying to emulate a simple indoor scene a photographer might have in a studio. Possibly a video link?

I'm thinking about buying rendering software that will give me the results I want - not happy about dropping $1000 on keyshot.

Thanks all.

• Advanced Member

Maxwell Studio has always been the finest of authentic ray traced render engines. It's material editor is excellent, one of the easiest for cooking up new textures. $595. 

But you should just get the totally free Radeon ProRender. There's a thread on it. It's really good and fast too.

Edited by L'Ancien Regime

• Advanced Member
16 hours ago, jima said:

I downloaded Unreal Engine a few weeks ago and didn't get back to it. I've heard about Octane, but did not realize it was free. Thanks for the tip.

Yes, Octane is free but UI might be little bit intimidating but there are tutorials on Octane youtube how to use it in Unity.

https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/integration/octanerender-for-unity-installer-scene-105646

• Advanced Member

Cycles vs free Octane for Blender 2.8

https://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=72241

It's getting really crazy now. I know Mike Pan.  He's one of the devs for Cycles. He holds Blender meetups in Vancouver once a month. I was at one and mentioned the free Renderman for Blender. His eyes flashed and he said that Cycles was going to be better. 

I'm beginning to understand what he was saying.

SbVx2p2.png

• Advanced Member

Cycles vs free Octane for Blender 2.8

No need to confuse cycles and e-cycles. E-cycles is a paid addon, where the dude just swapped the start of the denoise (it starts on each tile, not on the whole image, which makes the transition to the next tile faster) and proudly passes it off as a new render, also selling for inadequate price.

I just got cycles working to suit me, and the 3cd pbr material translated very well. I exported as obj with material. I get that Andrew wants to get every  aspect of 3dc the best it can be,  but I'm not sure improving the render room is worth much effort considering what already exists. Thanks all for the help. I have other things I want to get back to, but I appreciate the knowledgeable input from everyone.

• Like 1