3DCoat Forums

Blender 2.81 Alpha is out, stable release in November

• Advanced Member
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

Disclaimer: I'd rather post in existing blender topics than create a new one. This is not a VS post.
Since you bring up competition, this needs to be said imo:

Blender is eating away at 3D Coat's appeal.
We have 3 big things going on right now development wise:

1) Blender's sculpting capabilities are improving drastically to the point where it can be seen as on par with 3D Coat. With the advent of polygroup like functionality, direct 3D modeling, modifiers (including traditional multires modifier), and smart posing tools, quadremesh,  one could argue it has already began to surpass the 3D Coat sculpting work flow.

2) Aside from some great 3rd party addons, Blender has began to develop a retopology mode in order to match the current standard of the retopology task.

3) At the latest Blender Conference, it was announced that the goal with the brush engine and painting features was to combine what you get with Krita with Substance Painter. Add in the fact you already have a substance designer like node workflow and the texturing capabilities of Blender will far surpass 3D Coat's current texturing capability.

More importantly, Blender is free and has backing from Nvidia as well as AMD.

The point of saying is to point out that all three of those areas are what 3D Coat is known for, as well as why people would be interested in picking it up in the first place. If that is matched or surpassed by a free software package, the question is, how can 3D Coat continue to grow or continue to exist in its current form? Blender is going to force the competition to think a bit differently, where their software fits within the larger field of CGI, and what they are offering to get those sales. I hope Andrew can come up with a compelling reason for people to use 3D Coat in the future, to either compete with whats coming out in the near future, or to bring something unique to the table so that the software has its place in the pipeline.

Blender is simply disruptive, in a good way for us as consumers, but perhaps not so good for software like 3D Coat.

Edited by RabenWulf

• Advanced Member
11 hours ago, RabenWulf said:

1) Blender's sculpting capabilities are improving drastically to the point where it can be seen as on par with 3D Coat. With the advent of polygroup like functionality, direct 3D modeling, modifiers (including traditional multires modifier), and smart posing tools, quadremesh,  one could argue it has already began to surpass the 3D Coat sculpting work flow.

Not really.  Blenders sculpting capabilities have now come up to an acceptable basic level.  It in no way matches 3D Coat's or Z Brushes strength or usefulness.  I had to use the sculpting in Blender 2.8 recently and frankly it was ... as I said, rather basic. 
3D coat really does need a pose tool like the one demonstrated there though, and indeed I suggested something similar here a few months back. 

I do wish it had some non destructive and more visible boolean operations available.  For instance if instead of using an imported model or  a primitive to subtract or add to a layer and then hitting apply, you could use a different layer to add or subtract.  Blender can do things like that even if it's a bit finicky, and slows the machine down.

Incidentally the Autopo works really well in 3D coat now, it's definitely been improved.

• Like 1

• Advanced Member
6 hours ago, Falconius said:

Not really.  Blenders sculpting capabilities have now come up to an acceptable basic level.  It in no way matches 3D Coat's or Z Brushes strength or usefulness.  I had to use the sculpting in Blender 2.8 recently and frankly it was ... as I said, rather basic. 
3D coat really does need a pose tool like the one demonstrated there though, and indeed I suggested something similar here a few months back. 

I do wish it had some non destructive and more visible boolean operations available.  For instance if instead of using an imported model or  a primitive to subtract or add to a layer and then hitting apply, you could use a different layer to add or subtract.  Blender can do things like that even if it's a bit finicky, and slows the machine down.

Incidentally the Autopo works really well in 3D coat now, it's definitely been improved.

I am referring to specifically to features that are not currently in the 2.80 build so far, but are planned for 2.81+. The developer behind it started his own sculpting branch and was eventually hired full time by the Blender Institute. There is a lot that has not yet been merged into master, so what you see in regular 2.8 right now (the basic low end sculpting features) is not what I am talking about.
See: https://twitter.com/pablodp606

And: https://www.artstation.com/pablodp606/blog

The autoretopology is also part of the equation. They added a few remeshing functions + automatic retopology. This alone won't match up to what Zbrush or 3D Coat results atm, but someone went and threw a wrench into the equation and created Zbrush's remeshing/retopology capability for Blender (as well as Maya, Max and Modo). http://www.cgchannel.com/2019/10/check-out-neat-automatic-retopology-tool-quadremesher/

Even the improved boolean workflow you describe is part of the developments.

There are a lot of developments going on and its not easy to track them all. Foresight reveals that 3D Coat's primary appeal feature wise is being developed in Blender. What has also changed is the level of funding, with over $100,000 flowing into the development fund every month due to backers from Nvidia, AMD, Epic and Ubisoft.

This is going to be very disruptive some commercial software packages, which includes 3DC.

Edited by RabenWulf

• Advanced Member
1 hour ago, RabenWulf said:

This is going to be very disruptive some commercial software packages, which includes 3DC.

Yup.  That's one of the many great things about Blender.  Competition pushes development and innovation.  I'm certainly not going to complain :)

Edited by Falconius

• Advanced Member
6 hours ago, Carlosan said:

Is UV based so... not very useful for sculpt.

20b3d2f56db31aeefcf70b32ad77c28afbd77ae8

----------------------------------------------------------

There's two things to take away from that bit of development. The first is that in its current form it would be useful for multiresolution sculpts, where you could add detail on top of a UVed mesh with multiple levels of resolution. The second is that if this is the start then it would be safe to say it wont simply end at that level either. It all happens in steps, the biggest difference is because its blender, we tend to see it early on in its development.

non-related add:

Edited by RabenWulf

Sorry but I don't understand why show tools from other software that, for example they were already implemented in 3DC since 2014 and also by layers. 

I invite everyone who wants to talk about blender to visit the forum of that software.

https://blenderartists.org

-----------------------

Again: sorry but...

Source...

On 4/12/2014 at 4:29 AM, Javis said:

Forum Conduct
- No "versus" threads - Direct comparisons of one software over another are not allowed. Discussions about tools, workflows or development implementation is fine, but absolutely no "app vs app", or derogatory statements about an app. These bring needless debate that too often becomes contentious.

Let's keep the forums a fun, productive, and positive place for everyone. As a reminder, it's our practice to first privately warn users of any violations. If the user continues to push their bounds then we'll either follow with a second warning or temporary ban.

• Like 1