3DCoat Forums

Reopen file objects missing from scene

Meant to post this here, accidentally posted in regular 3DCoat forum, if that one can please be deleted.

I'd been working for days on a model and when I went to bed last night I saved it and closed 3DCoat. Nothing seemed amiss. I open it today, all layers are still there, the last actions I took were there, but most of the objects in other layers are gone. Of a nearly entire dragon skeleton, all that's left is the ribcage, hip bones and fleshed out head. What on earth happened to my save? Is it lost for good? How can I recover the objects in the layers that are failing to show?

If it helps any, I'm in version 4.8.37

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately I think you are right, defective disk, error while saving the file.

You are using an earlier version than the current one (it is 4.9.5) which solved many old bugs.

It is always convenient to be versioning the projects (name_01, name_02...) to be able to return to the previous version in case of any problem.

On latest version, to keep autosave option switched ON in Preferences is saver too.

Autosave.jpg

• 2 years later...

im having this problem on 2021.57...and i also had it with 2021.70 or whatever the latest is. this effected the autosaves as well some how. i woke today having half my art gone. alot of time and effort. really amazing i wanted to be so psyched to work in coat but man this is just too much....now if i want to continue my work i have to re construct my work from multiple save files...you see i do save incrementally and autosave and still im losing too much work. opening a file and having missing objects is a massive deal breaker. my god this is not normal. please 3dcoat get a quality assurance department and real testers testing this product not simply relying on your customers to beta test your software...yikes....seriously considering going back to zb at least i didnt lose work this way with it.