3DCoat Forums

Restrict height/depth for bass relief?

Innovine

• Advanced Member

I would like to model something a bit like this:

5f11ab5d4ee0641b689cc433b278d6a6.jpg

Is there any way to restrict the heigh or depth of the sculpt, so going over the same areas doesn't alter the model further?

Any of the tools I've worked with so far continue to make taller blobs or deeper holes, and when I run the tool over the same area again it cuts/builds ever higher or deeper. Can I just lock the depth/height of a tool so once I go over an area it won't have any effect if I go over it again? Like painting in greyscale, with 100% opacity, only for sculpt height?

Would it be easier to create a greyscale in photoshop and use it as a stencil in 3d coat, or similar?

Edited by Innovine

• Advanced Member

Any chance we could get a dedicated tool for this kind of work? Something that would carve or add, while clamping to a fixed height or depth?

I imagine something camera relative, with a tool option for max depth, or max height, and then when you use the tool, each stroke raises or lowers the surface based on the pen pressure, until the max height/depth is reached, and clamps it at that value...

This might be a valuable additien to many tools, now that I think about it. I often get stuff which carves out way too deep holes, or rapidly builds really big, ugly bumps

Edited by Innovine