3DCoat Forums

Unpredictable, unreliable tools?

Innovine

• Advanced Member

Just a general feeling with 3d coat overall, but I never really feel I know what a tool is going to do until I start using it. Sometimes they will bulge out a ridiculous amount, some times there is no effect whatsoever. Some tools I have to crank up to really high Depth level just to see a difference, others I need to set to below 1% to get an acceptable calm response. I use a Cintiq and the pressure sensitivity commonly feels bad, either no response or overwhelming, and this differs from tool to tool. The tools are ok for what they do, I guess, but they don't feel like a reliable TOOL, like a hammer or a screwdriver. They feel like finicky, unstable, unpolished things which are liable to jump around in my hands and destroy my model as much as they help.

Does anyone else feel the same way?  Would 3d-coat benefit from an improvement and polishing of how tools work, to make them feel more predictable and united in their responses? Can anything be done about the sculpting-in-shaving-foam feeling?

Edited by Innovine

• Advanced Member
23 minutes ago, Carlosan said:

HI 

Are you using latest version series 4.9 ?

Maybe not the very  latest build, but yes, 4.9 something.  I have not gone back to 4.8 to compare, but I think I felt something the same there too. Maybe its worse now, I don't know. Were things like pressure curves altered between 4.8 and 4.9?   In general, I think it fair to say that I find it pretty much impossible to switch tools and guess what depth I am going to get for a particular Depth setting.

• Advanced Member

I think there is always room for improvement for the feel of a brush.  I'd really like 3D Coat to devote some time to that, I think it'd be really beneficial as I know that is the sort of thing that will definitely pull in users..  But I haven't noticed the extreme poor behaviors you are describing (I'm on an Wacom intous).

• Reputable Contributor

Keep in mind that Andrew has been working on a unified brush engine, which hopefully will be forthcoming by the next major version (sometime next year). I do agree that similar settings for one voxel brush and similar settings for a Surface Brush can be drastically different. This is probably why he started the new brush engine. He gets feedback from some well-known artists like Bay Raitt and others, so it's not like he's doing this in isolation.

• Advanced Member
12 hours ago, Innovine said:

Just a general feeling with 3d coat overall, but I never really feel I know what a tool is going to do until I start using it. Sometimes they will bulge out a ridiculous amount, some times there is no effect whatsoever. Some tools I have to crank up to really high Depth level just to see a difference, others I need to set to below 1% to get an acceptable calm response. I use a Cintiq and the pressure sensitivity commonly feels bad, either no response or overwhelming, and this differs from tool to tool. The tools are ok for what they do, I guess, but they don't feel like a reliable TOOL, like a hammer or a screwdriver. They feel like finicky, unstable, unpolished things which are liable to jump around in my hands and destroy my model as much as they help.

Does anyone else feel the same way?  Would 3d-coat benefit from an improvement and polishing of how tools work, to make them feel more predictable and united in their responses? Can anything be done about the sculpting-in-shaving-foam feeling?

I used to feel that way with the Transpose Tool. Then one day I started to delve into it, exploring all its functionality and discovered that it's super powerful, precise, and amazing. 3D Coat takes some serious work to master,  but not so much as Autodesk Alias which is really difficult to master. Guys that do surfacing are some real wonks.