3DCoat Forums

spacemouse

Innovine

• Advanced Member

I use a 3d Connexion Spacemouse (and it was an important reason when I chose 3d coat to be honest). I notice recently that in 4.9 when working on very small objects, the movement/panning is extremely sensitive. It seems like the displacement of the spacemouse controller gives an absolute camera movement in 3d-coat, and does not scale the input to match the zoom level. Is this configurable in some way? I'd prefer if the spacemouse movement rates are relative to the objects size on the screen, not the absolute movement of the controller. Please let me know if this description is not clear. You can probably see the problem for yourself if you up the voxel resolution and make a very small object, and then zoom in so it fills the screen and then try to pan it around. It just shoots off the screen when you touch the controller.

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor
8 hours ago, L'Ancien Regime said:

wow $419. I want one though. Next purchase. Cintique 24" Pro with stand $3600 Cdn.  I can jsut imagine using that with a spacemouse.

You can usually find the top model (Enterprise) on eBay for around $300+...The extra buttons really does help immensely. I rarely have to reach for the keyboard, for shortcuts.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3Dconnexion-3DX-700056-Space-Mouse-Enterprise/223737070985?epid=10031090566&hash=item3417c4c589:g:AAIAAOSwOxFdTFZO

• Like 1

• Advanced Member
1 hour ago, AbnRanger said:

You can usually find the top model (Enterprise) on eBay for around $300+...The extra buttons really does help immensely. I rarely have to reach for the keyboard, for shortcuts.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3Dconnexion-3DX-700056-Space-Mouse-Enterprise/223737070985?epid=10031090566&hash=item3417c4c589:g:AAIAAOSwOxFdTFZO

I imagine that when you go between different programs you can avoid having to get that fingertip memory so that you can remember the different key alignments for navigating in their workspace window with one of these. 

• Advanced Member

Sadly many programs dont support it. Even the ones that do, like Blender, have some different movement scheme so it feels different.. I've never made friends with Blenders support for it, and I dont actually use it in Blender at all. It works in Unity with a plugin and that's quite ok. No support in Substance Painter which is really disappointing, and I think it doesnt work in zbrush either.

• Reputable Contributor
20 minutes ago, L'Ancien Regime said:

I imagine that when you go between different programs you can avoid having to get that fingertip memory so that you can remember the different key alignments for navigating in their workspace window with one of these. 

Muscle Memory kicks in before too long. It's easy for me to remember the different keys for 3DCoat and something entirely non-3D like Camtasia.

• Advanced Member
6 hours ago, AbnRanger said:

Muscle Memory kicks in before too long. It's easy for me to remember the different keys for 3DCoat and something entirely non-3D like Camtasia.

I can also remember the different key assignments, but when it comes to the movement of the actual puck, I'm pretty sure my brain knows how it's supposed to work, and if the app doesn't match that (like Blender) then I have a really hard time. I don't remember exactly what it was, but I did go through all the turntable and orbit options and inverted the axes and so on, and couldn't get blender to behave like 3dcoat. I really wish the puck movement could be standardized across applications, much like a mouse behaves the same regardless of the app even if the button mappings change.

• Reputable Contributor
11 minutes ago, Innovine said:

I can also remember the different key assignments, but when it comes to the movement of the actual puck, I'm pretty sure my brain knows how it's supposed to work, and if the app doesn't match that (like Blender) then I have a really hard time. I don't remember exactly what it was, but I did go through all the turntable and orbit options and inverted the axes and so on, and couldn't get blender to behave like 3dcoat. I really wish the puck movement could be standardized across applications, much like a mouse behaves the same regardless of the app even if the button mappings change.

Yeah. I hate the way it works in Blender, too. Never could figure out why they had to make it so hard to work with. I tried all their options and it sucks, compared to how it's supposed to work, and like every other 3D app uses it.

• 6 months later...
  • Advanced Member

Seems to work much better in blender 2.82. It's really natural imho.

Please, can we get an improvement in 3dcoat? Something which changes the movement sensitivity based on how much you zoom in. 

An explanation for the modifiers would also be welcome, I can't quite figure out what the different parameters do.

By the way, I saw a release note saying that the stuttering issue was fixed, but my .43 is still stuttering if the mouse is not connected when the program is launched.