3DCoat Forums

high poly to low polly details

castaneda

• Advanced Member

Is there a way to get high poly details to a low poly sculpt? Ive watched some videos on this but don't quite get it. As you can see in the pics Ive uploeaded that I have done some stenciling sculpting and have retopoed it but it appears that I have to have a few million poly's to keep the details crisp and not become softened at the edges. This is geometry detail not normal map detail. Is there a way to bake high poly detail onto a low poly sculpt? Ive worked with 3d coat for a while now but haven't delved into this type of situation. I used instant meshes for this retopo and when I subdivide the topo it either stretches or shows other problems with the mesh. Or is it just unrealistic to topologize a geometry with this kind of detail although I've seen very detailed models that are low poly. Thanks for any help and clarity. Hopefully Iv'e explained myself clearly enough for someone to understand and help.

Capturenewcity.PNG

CapturenewcityB.PNG

• Advanced Member

the final render is Marmoset toolbag 3. but regardless of the renderer I know there must be a way to lower poly's and keep crisp edges and detail. Not sure exactly what you mean by displacement maps as using stencils on the geometry is the displacement right? or do you mean displacement after a retopo? Somewhat like a normal map except for the actual displacement of the geometry? I am a newbie in this area so excuse me for being ignorent on some of the explanations and their meanings. The problem with some of the videos, even for newcomers is that thay are often not in real time and they don't go step by step when they are. 

• Advanced Member

The use of the displacement (also known as height) is up to the renderer. It's essentially a 2d heightmap using the UV coords, where the map contains information on how far the pixels should be moved from the surface of the polygon. In Unreal Engine 4, you can use the Parallax Occulusion node in a material to move the surface pixels during rendering according to the heightmap. So, yes, a bit like normalmaps, but not quite, as it does actually produce parallax effects and occlude other pixels where a normal map wont. I don\t know how Marmoset works so I can't comment on what it does.

Why not just export the high poly model and work with that, it doesn't look crazy complex, cant marmoset handle that?

Edited by Innovine

• Advanced Member

Yes. Marmoset handles it just fine. But working with high poly makes 3d coat slow to respond in preparing a high poly model. Just figured there is a way around that. Thanks for the responses though. they are helpful. I don't feel so lost. If Im able to figure this out I will post.

You are working on voxel or surface mode ?

I would create it in a more modular way, I would not add the details to the block.
Think of the model as a construction, it has a main shape, pillars, terraces, windows.
Each part is a module, the detail is add when painted. For example, it is not necessary to sculpt each window, it is not necessary to model 4 pillars.
At that visual distance I would make 1 window, 1 pillar, 1 terrace ... I would paint details and then export and assemble all the modules in another program (like a LEGO)