3DCoat Forums

auto-retopo not work on imported mesh

Diomede

I am new to 3D Coat.  I want to import a relatively low polyshirt mesh and do auto retopolgy.  Nothing happened except my mesh appeared in the viewport.  So, I made a very simple test mesh (about 20 polygons) and tried with that.  Again, me test mesh appeared but no attempt at retopolgy.

Steps that I tried.

I modeled and saved the obj in another program.  I opened 3D Coat and chose the intro box that says perform retopology, then chose the lower right box that says perform auto-retopology, the navigated to my obj file.  The obj loads but not any attempt at retopology.  

Help?

The lower left box leads me to manual retopology.  When I use it, and try to initiate auto-retopology from the menus, still nothing happens.  I started 3d coat and chose he retopology start.  I then chose the lower left box  I navigated to a test object (largest fie in screenshot).  My test object loaded.  I right clicked on its name and a menu appeared.  I chose auto-retopology.  Three successive menus for retopology options appeared and I accepted the defaults by clicking "next."

Nothing seems to have happened.  

zz01 3dcoat startupchoose retopology.JPG

zz02 quad menu choose lower left.JPG

zz03 retopo test file.JPG

zz04 test object loaded in 3d coat.JPG

zz05 auto retopo menu from right click on name.JPG

zz06 auto retopo ialogue accept defaults.JPG

zz07 auto retopo second menu accet defaults.JPG

zz08 auto retopo 3rd menu accept defaults.JPG

zz09 auto retopo nothing seems to have happened.JPG

Custodian, thanks for the prompt reply. 

I am attaching a zip file with my test object for the screenshots.  In addition, I had attempted the same workflow for two other models.  One model was more refined clothing, with uvmaps etc.   The other model was like the test model except much lower mesh density (about 30 polygons).  Thus far, auto-retopology has not done anything for me no matter which menu I use to initiate it or which model I use.  I get the feeling that I am missing something extremely basic, such as a "Validate" button.  I am following all the prompts and accepting all the defaults, yet nothing is happening.

Other functions seem to work.  I've been able to start manual retopology. I've also been able to use the UVMapping functions.

retopo z try.zip

• Advanced Member

I've been trying autopo for a couple years. I've never could get any acceptable results. IMHO auto retopo just isn't there yet, which really isn't a big issue for me as I'm not an animator or game developer. I just want to create models to be used as props in my 3D renders (Vue Complete) or paint overs in Photoshop, ArtRage or Corel Painter.

That said, love 3DC but not a fan of auto or manual retopo for that matter.

• Reputable Contributor
16 hours ago, kenmo said:

I've been trying autopo for a couple years. I've never could get any acceptable results. IMHO auto retopo just isn't there yet, which really isn't a big issue for me as I'm not an animator or game developer. I just want to create models to be used as props in my 3D renders (Vue Complete) or paint overs in Photoshop, ArtRage or Corel Painter.

That said, love 3DC but not a fan of auto or manual retopo for that matter.

I totally disagree. It's even better lately and many times, when I try it, it works better than I would have thought. Sometimes it's a bit finicky, but it really depends on how many smaller details the object has. 

• Like 1

Thanks you everyone for your replies.  Looks great, AbnRanger.  I want to be able to do that!  I still am not having any luck.

I am attaching another test mesh.

I made this one ten times bigger in my modelers scale.  It is less like a rock.  After I load it in 3D Coat, the Autopo does not seem to try to generate a mesh.

Maybe this will help folks identify what is going wrong.

See next post for test dude model.

dd01 mesh of model close to 10000 polygons.JPG

dd02 bring mesh in 3d coat for retopo.JPG

Edited by Diomede
replace model in next post