3DCoat Forums

Cloth tool

RP3

I have a character I did in zbrush has a base mesh(the body) and is fully clothed. I was wondering if I could use 3d coats cloth simulation tools to make the clothes flow when animating like they would normally for example A jacket blowing with the wind

• Reputable Contributor
1 hour ago, philnolan3d said:

Will there's no animation in 3DC and definitely no wind. The best you could do is turn your character on its side so the cloth draping "down" would actually be to the side.

Exactly. Use Gravity in place of a Wind force vector...that or run such a simulation in your host 3D app, as most have some type of cloth simulation and different force vectors, like wind, that you could use.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 7/1/2015 at 4:01 AM, Taros said:

The cloth tool has very less adjustment options, but if you keep some fundamental points in mind, it works like expected.

1. Work with seperate obstacle models as often as possible.

In your case: Keep your origin branch parts seperately and don't melt them with your trunk. Do it later, after the simulation or keep all tree parts in a seperate folder and work with copies. Use your single branches as obstacles for every leaf. This is a way I always try to work. "Nondestructive" is the magic word. But if you need the whole tree for simulation, then you can do it of course. Don't forget: High resolution obstacles need more cpu time.

2. When preparing the leaf meshes, move the mesh origin to the leaf root. When importing the leaf mesh into 3D-Coat, the control gizmo will be placed to the origin automatically.

3. The most important part: Use ALWAYS meshes from the Retopo room.

To use an external mesh from retopo room, import it there. You have some important advantages:

1. The mesh transformation works as expected. You can place and scale your external mesh to the simluation start position.

2. You can set UVs before starting simulation. When the mesh is deformed all uvs stay at then right position. You can bring the cloth mesh completely back to the retopo room and export it from there.

3. You can always reset the simulation to the retopo mesh.

Additional infos:

I know this is actually a workaround, because the cloth tool has two bugs:

1. The scaling ignores the cloth mesh origin.

2. The reset function does not work with custom meshes.

But it works as I described. I was able to create nice leafs in a first quick test. Give it a try.

Don't forget: you can always move your mesh while the simulation in realtime to correct small problems or reposition it!

Best wishes

Chris