3DCoat Forums

Retopo Mesh UV vs Paint Mesh UV

co3Darts

I've found this app amazing and confusing enough that I don't use it as much as when I originally purchased But I had an what the moment today and feel Like I'm making that elusive understanding now.

I typically don't use it from sculpt to paint to export because the rooms are so confusing and the geometry that is created and it's children data sets like UV's

For instance, If I autopo (manual) to Retopo Room from Sculpt room of an Voxel or Surface object, everything makes sense..

Then finish/adjust retopo object, and then before you bake small surface sculpts from Sculpt room Geo to your new Retopo object; the User needs to UV unwrap the Retopo object.  Great and straight forward..

After this you have a Paint Object and it's visible in the UV room :) However, the Paint Object UV's that you find in the UV room, don't match the Retopo Object UV's which one spent time dealing with and as I understand it are the basis for transfering sculpt detail.  I believe that the Paint Object is simply a copy of the retopo object.  However the Paint Object is the final low res mesh that is a Hybrid of both as it matches the retopo poly wise but has had sculpt detail baked into it for normal map generation etc.  Why is it different and has sloppy UV's now that are different than the previously UV'd retopo object?

Why or why shouldn't I go into the UV room and fix the wacky UV's that are now on the Paint Object (Appear to use the built in Auto Seams Algo)?  If I do this; do I break some connection?  Why not have the Retopo UV's the same as the Paint UV's object to begin with?

Thanks!

Retopo Test Object.jpg

Paint Test Object.jpg

Edited by co3Darts

Hi 

The mesh process is lineal. Sculpt > Retopo > Bake > Paint

UV workspace is an extension of Paint Room as Tweak room is too.

After baking process done on Retopo room, Paint - UV and Tweak are sharing the same mesh geometry.

Thanks but my question is specifically is why doesn't the "Paint Object" have the same UV layout as the Retopo object after the Bake for Pixels process is run and How do I get it to have the same?  See my two images; the second image show's the UV's of the resultant Paint Object directly after the bake in Retopo Room.   The first image is the UV's of my Retopo object which I've cleaned up.

I figured out what I was doing wrong, I was using Unify UV which I realize now moves all UV's to current UV set instead of simply selecting islands and picking the UV set from drop down. Doh!  I'm trying to paint several objects of similar shape.  I believe 3DCoat doesn't handle multiple objects easily, for instance in generating Normalmap/CurveMap/AO in Paint room, I need to turn off one paint object then generate, then toggle and generate again but I don't see under Texture where to create the Normalmap for each object?

Thanks for help.

Edited by co3Darts

If you have 2 retopo Objects in Retopo room and one UVset, after bake you get in Paint room

- 2 Paint Objects

- 1 Surface Material (by one UVlayout)

All maps are applied to 1 Surface material

If you have 2 retopo Objects in Retopo room and 2 UVset, after bake you get in Paint room

- 2 Paint Objects

- 2 Surface Material (by 2 UVlayout)

When you export using File > Export objects and textures, every map is exported individually for object (select fbx file format).

Watch this video, it demonstrates Sequential Texture Baking and I believe it will solve your problem... Very important part of the video, Your Sculpt tree layers and your Retopo group layers must have the same name for this to work...