3DCoat Forums

Retopology tools Vs Modo/Maya how do they compare?

Rectro

Hi

Im a Modo, and C4D user and looking at the nice tools Maya has for topology.  Some spesific ones that caught my attention is Smooth brush from the shift modifier key along with soft selection.  What solutions does 3Dcoat have for retopology smoothing, and how does in general they compare with Maya.   I use Zbrush so dont even need the sculpting part of 3DCoat.

Here is a video I made to make my question more clear.  

Thanks, Dan

Edited by Rectro

Hi 

Yes Quads in direct Method tool is the most closet to Modo workflow. Use RMB over any vertex to move/tweak it.

You need to switch tools, first Split the Slide using RMB, use END keyto define hotkeys.

Yes, you have to keep on pressing ESC key every time.

No, its not possible to add RMB function to Quads Tool. Its a good feature request but sadly is not possible currently.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi.  Just to give some feed back, hopfully the devs will read this.

We need a faster way to add a loop slice.  MMB click would do the job,  this is a task done alot between extruding. I find Quads mode with Direct method most convenient. When I right-click to tweak Id like for it to have a snap and weld ability when close to other points.  Right-click tweak with the large balls in the way is annoying.  The default material on the high res mesh is too flat and does not show shadows and contours very well. I found it hard to see the clavicle or scapular.  Quads tool needs more modifiers to customize what the LMB, RMB, Shfit, Ctrl, Alt is used for.  In addition to this a hot key to select a brush tool would be helpfull thus returning back to the original tool you had prior.

Things I really like is the topology is very clear to see, the smooth brush is great and in general Quad strip are fast to lay down.

You really should consider making just a Retopology app, you get tons of sales but when you already own Zbrush, Mari, Substance painter its alot of money for just a retopology task.  I had under a hour to try and solve these things before the sale is finished but I just could not find any solutions to the above.

Thanks, Dan

Edited by Rectro