3DCoat Forums

Posing textured mesh

kait kybar

Hello. Im a concept artist using 3d coat mostly for quick concept work.  

So I sculpted a character. Exported mesh, Imported it back to paintroom for texturing. Added textures and some materials, all good.  But here is the problem.

I would like to make a quick demo pose for this textured mesh. Is there a quick and dirty way to do it?  I tried few things but...no luck.

Thanks

Kait

Edited by kait kybar

Hi!

I'm not sure if this is what you want, but you can also try the following workaround described in the attached image (instead of tweak room).

I tested it as an alternative to "tweak room", it has some back and forth between rooms, and i don't know if it is 100% non destructive!

1. Paint room: Imported Model and painted.

2. Retopo room: Take mesh from paint room.

3.Sculpt room: Bring the mesh from retopo room room(retopomesh-->sculpt mesh). Adjust the pose with pose/move tool.  Retopo mesh is updated as well.

4. Retopo room: Update paint mesh with retopo mesh.

5. Paint room: Updated mesh.

pose_paint mesh.png

Edited by geoath
more info
  • Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

Another option is to simply import that same (UV-mapped) textured mesh into the Sculpt Workspace directly, and MAKE SURE to check IMPORT WITHOUT VOXELIZATION in the Import Dialog. 

What 3DCoat will do is bake all the texture information from the UV texture map onto the vertices of the imported mesh (Vertex Paint). Now, you can pose however you want and just export to a render engine that allows Vertex Paint maps. Or RMB the Vox Tree layer and choose RETOPO VIA DECIMATION, to send a copy to the Retopo room for baking all the textures back to a UV mapped version. 

In the Retopo Room, go to the BAKE Menu, Bake to PPP using Normal Map or Displacement. When you get to the IMPORT dialog during the baking process, there will be an option for KEEP UV in the upper right section. Click that to reveal another option > choose AUTO-UV>

Now, you should have your model reposed and keeping all that texture information. Don't forget, in the Paint Room, you have in the TEXTURES menu a Light Baking option, to where you could bake some SSS effect on that create and tweak that SSS baked texture layer.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/9/2020 at 6:30 PM, geoath said:

Hi!

I'm not sure if this is what you want, but you can also try the following workaround described in the attached image (instead of tweak room).

I tested it as an alternative to "tweak room", it has some back and forth between rooms, and i don't know if it is 100% non destructive!

1. Paint room: Imported Model and painted.

2. Retopo room: Take mesh from paint room.

3.Sculpt room: Bring the mesh from retopo room room(retopomesh-->sculpt mesh). Adjust the pose with pose/move tool.  Retopo mesh is updated as well.

4. Retopo room: Update paint mesh with retopo mesh.

5. Paint room: Updated mesh.

pose_paint mesh.png

yes this works but the problem is that my mesh is highpoly. and its really laggy, almost impossible to move anything. :/

Thanks everyone. 

Maybe you could try, after your highpoly  model is in sculpt room (step 3), to adjust it in proxy mode. You can think of this as a "low subd" version of your highpoly model.

Any adjustments (e.g move/pose tool) on the proxy model will be reflected to the highres one once you exit the proxy mode.

proxymodel.jpg

Edited by geoath