3DCoat Forums

retopo reference object - import and voxelization question

tritochke

hi all

I'm trying to retopo one model, my reference object came from zbrush and has roughly about 1 million poly's. few steps to explain my workflow : 

1 : I select voxel sculpting ( through welcome screen category list ) and browse my reference model from disk in order to import it. 

2 : Pop up window opens up and gives me several option to choose from, I usually leave all options turned OFF except : Leave rotated axis, Import w/o voxelization, respect negative volume

3 : 4DCoat asks me If I wish to leave scale of the object as it is and I always choose yes because I need it to be in the exact position for NMBake later on. 

Now, what is really strange is this, usually when I follow these simple steps that I've learned in one of numerous tutorials on how to properly import high resolution meshes into 3dcoat my imported reference model when I switch from sculpt room to retopo room is in YELLOW color, but now it is in WHITE. Didn't think much about it initially, i thought this might just be something 3DCoat does randomly but then I realized that If I switch to Render room and try to apply any type of shader onto my model none of them work, at all !? So, my guess is this is not a proper way to import reference object or I missed one step in the process, or this could be easily fixed somehow ?

any help is greatly appreciated, sry If I ask silly question here, forum search didn't came up with any potential lead onto why this might be happening and I'm really still learning 3dcoat logic.

thnx

N.

On 1/19/2020 at 1:40 PM, Carlosan said:

Hi 

Cant be assigned any shader to Reference objects.

Check this video please. Hope it help

Hi Carlosan

I have, thank you for ur reply, however this did not help me out but I kinda figured out  that issue was not in 3dcoat but rather in zbrush. On import Zbrush somehow baked it's shaders onto my reference model and so I couldn't really get proper results in 3dcoat because of that, so I just exported my high poly ref from zbrush again but this turned off any ppaint visible/invisible on the model and it's worked flawlessly. However, I'm having really big issues with ver 4.9.19 and high poly references, earlier when I used 4.5 version 3dcoat was able to import pretty dense meshes ( up to 20 mil poly's ) in the scene and now, with 4.9.19 crashes even on 1 mil. so, y, I know it's a beta phase, i'll wait till devs pick up on this and fix it or revert it back ( or maybe even make it better then before ) we can dream can we :) thx man