3DCoat Forums

Odd Autotopo and Automapping Feature and Work Around

andykarta

I made a model in Fusion 360 with about fifty bodies.  (Fusion is a semi CAD program designed for modeling...kinda).  I mention this because modeling solids in Fusion produces awful topology.  I mean, really really ugly tris with no uniformity at all and sixty point stars.  Few if any ngons though.   If I try to autotopo it, Coat freezes. 

Interesting workaround though.  I open it for UV Mapping.  Coat says that I should use auto mapping.  So I do and I get a beautifully topologized map.  Even the spheres and curves which have a particularly ugly topology out of fusion turn out super nice automatically.  The UV seams are totally wrong but that's not an issue because of Coats excellent tools in the retopo room.  

The thing is, what the hell?  Why is autotopo unable to do something that auto mapping does with ease and excellence.  It doesn't even take that long.  

I have another issue in the SOS section that's related.  If I import the file in Voxel mode or surface mode, Coat thinks my 3000ish polygon model has 300 MILLION polys.  It freezes and crashes.  And yet if I import through UV mapping, Coat has no problem.  It seems like a mesh topology issue but it's trippy.   ***** (Why the face).  Coat is awesome but friggin weird sometimes.  Maybe I'm doing something wrong with the imports.  I've watched the excellent tutorials. I'm changing the resolution and tried both surface and voxel mode.  Nope.  It freezes with Fusion 360 meshes.   But importing through paint or UV mapping works like a charm.  Then I just move it into another room.  

I mean, I'm not mad.  I have this beautiful topology with the push of a button.  I'm happy.   But still guys, why are you making me crazy?