3DCoat Forums

3dcoat ipad/mobile version

geo_n

• Advanced Member

Any chance we see development on mobile architecture or ipads for a paid version of 3dcoat?

Blender is catching up on the desktop for painting and sculpting.

I don't see any decent competition for 3d painting apps in other platforms outside of macs and pc.

• Advanced Member

I doubt it in the immediate future. There are SOC (system on a chip)  that combine  CPU and GPU on one chip that are out there and they're getting more powerful all the time. Eventually you'll probably see iPads that use them and can run 3D coat but then there's the problem of writing it for iPadOS not to mention power consumption issues .  I wouldn't expect to see 3D Coat on an iPad for 3 years at the earliest if ever. OTOH you could install a Teradici card in your work station then download the Teradici remote desktop app to your iPad and then be able to log into your computer from anyplace with a decent low latency link and then turn your home/office workstation on and off, and use it's full graphical capacity to work with Maya, Houdini, 3dCoat or Zbrush remotely. This is the technology that Catia V6 uses for engineers to do 3D design and CAD/CAM work from widely distributed networks all over the world. They do  enterprise level work that has tens of thousands of engineers and designers all working simultaneously on big projects as they travel the world. Works for PC gaming too with good frame rates and resolution.

https://www.teradici.com

You can get the PCIE X2 version on eBay if you shop around.

https://aecmag.com/software-mainmenu-32/994-teradici-workstation-access-software

Edited by L'Ancien Regime

• Advanced Member

I don't think 3dc can compete with blender in 5 years in the desktop platform. The pace of blender development is amazing. If they somehow implement most of 3dcoat's photoshop like functions, that's probably it for 3dc.  Next target is zbrush.

• 1 year later...
  • Advanced Member

I think it's time to start a mobile version. 

Procreate 5 will have 3d painting soon for mobile. I heard it's really good. 

There are already sculpting apps for mobile as well.

It's a bigger market and probably worth developing for. 

• Thanks 1