3DCoat Forums

[Solved] Paint Room / Layer Transform/ Attach Detach Material

tom_tm

Hi,

1. wouldn't it be nice to have the possibiliy to scale/move/rotate the layer? I.e. if I want to scale a checkerboard, now I need to apply the smart material with different settings again.
    I guess, after the fill function, the texture material is just rasterized over the model and there is no possible edits anymore.
2. Attach/Detach Material absolutely do not work with 4.9.17 and later.
    Probably I don't get how it really works, but if I attach some materials, I am not able to paint in a new layer or fill another layer with a smart material.
    I guess it's completly buggy. can someone confirm this?

Hi !

- Use "Transform - copy" tool. It is like free transform in PS.

You can transform parts or even whole set in Texture UV editor.

- When activating one of the Materials or Stencils, or both simultaneously, you’ll have a new panel on screen. This panel contains all of the editable functions for both Smart Materials and Stencils. 

Brush Components - MatStencil Popup

a2cc335dd293138c5bd7c72f7a3128.jpg

Transform Gizmo (yellow dot) allows you to transform the Smart Materials or Stencil, by moving, rotating and scaling. You can also squash/stretch.

There is also a more visual Transform Gizmo that works directly in the 3D  Viewport. When activating either a Material or  Stencil (and the 2D Grid), a yellow circle appears in the center of the Smart Materials or Stencil.

RMB Clicking the yellow circle will bring up more control icons for the Transform gizmo.

You can move, rotate and scale directly from this gizmo in a more intuitive way, and also align the center of your gizmo for more advanced painting and sculpting techniques.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Carlosan said:

Hi !

- Use "Transform - copy" tool. It is like free transform in PS.

You can transform parts or even whole set in Texture UV editor.

- When activating one of the Materials or Stencils, or both simultaneously, you’ll have a new panel on screen. This panel contains all of the editable functions for both Smart Materials and Stencils. 

Brush Components - MatStencil Popup

a2cc335dd293138c5bd7c72f7a3128.jpg

Transform Gizmo (yellow dot) allows you to transform the Smart Materials or Stencil, by moving, rotating and scaling. You can also squash/stretch.

There is also a more visual Transform Gizmo that works directly in the 3D  Viewport. When activating either a Material or  Stencil (and the 2D Grid), a yellow circle appears in the center of the Smart Materials or Stencil. 

RMB Clicking the yellow circle will bring up more control icons for the Transform gizmo.

You can move, rotate and scale directly from this gizmo in a more intuitive way, and also align the center of your gizmo for more advanced painting and sculpting techniques.

Thank you Carlosan for the explanation of all the possibilities.
Something I still miss is after filling/dropping the tools. There isn't a link to how the material has been applied.
I though Attach the material to the layer would give us a link to the material and all it's praramters we applied before.
I just think, if there is a change i.e. position of the material or scaling, we could recall the paramters and make the changes easy instead of
reproject the material and fill again.
Do you know what I mean? Maybe it would be called procedural workflow.

Thanks Tom

• 6 months later...
On 2/6/2020 at 2:21 AM, tom_tm said:

2. Attach/Detach Material absolutely do not work with 4.9.17 and later.
    Probably I don't get how it really works, but if I attach some materials, I am not able to paint in a new layer or fill another layer with a smart material.
    I guess it's completly buggy. can someone confirm this?

100% agree. I have never understood the "rules" by which attaching a material to a layer is supposed to work.

However it is supposed to work, it seems inconsistent and buggy as hell.

Hi

I downloaded the latest 3DC and all working as they should.

First attach SMaterial to layer, then paint over to see material attached. You can switch to another if needed.

If you add new layer will be abble to paint without issues.

57.jpg

attach.jpg

• Carlosan changed the title to [Solved] Paint Room / Layer Transform/ Attach Detach Material
  • 2 years later...
On 2/6/2020 at 4:49 AM, Carlosan said:

How do you force this Gizmo to appear? Today was the first time I've ever seen it and had the software for over a year. It was really handy and then it disappeared and I can't get it to appear again. There was a yellow dot on the screen and I clicked it to see what it was. But I can't get that to appear either. Thanks.

I think I found it but this is a really horrible setup. It's in the top left corner and buried behind the tool bar. If you hide the toolbar, it's there. But if you select another material while the toolbar is hidden, the gizmo is completely off the screen and you can't select it. This is a really odd setup and explains why I've never seen it. Worse, if you move it to a better position, it only is in that positing for that material. It springs right back for each material. There must be a better way to access it?

• Like 1