3DCoat Forums

3DCoat course / tutorial request

Hi, 

I`m just trying 3DCoat on its trial version. I think that this is great piece of software. But in my opinion it is quite hard to learn. Especially if someone would like to learn as much as it is possible in short period of time.

There are a lot of tutorials over the web, but almost all of them are fragmented or outdated.

What I would like to ask is, if anybody knows a good course for 3Dcoat with explanation of entire 3DCoat workflow. From voxel sculpting, by retopo, uv mapping to texturing. BTW. At the moment I try to shorten this process to only sculpt and texture, but I`m not sure is it good way of making 3d scenes in 3DCoat.

It would be great if anyone would know a good hard surface course that could cover entire process of making great model or scene in 3DCoat.  

• Advanced Member

https://www.pluralsight.com/courses/3d-coat-getting-started-2487

In this course, Getting Started with 3D-Coat, you'll first learn about forming base shapes with fast and efficient voxel editing tools, decimating your geometries, and making normal maps. Next, you'll learn how to create textures through both automated and manually processes. Finally, you'll learn all about rendering and exporting your final result. By the end of this course, you'll be comfortable with hard surface modeling in 3D-Coat. Required Software: 3D-Coat.

Edited by druh0o

Thanks Carlosan

I've seen some of those tutorial. They are quite great, but just as I said, they cover only part of the 3D coat workflow - also some of the tools are outdated.

The same with the course that you wrote druh0o. I singed into pluralsight but I didnt know how to complete this course as many of the tools that Robert used was working in other way that he showed. 

Thats the general problem, if some tool tutorial is older then a year it is highly propabally that it will work completely different than in recent version. Sometimes I managed to find a solution over the web, but very often I just stucked without any anwser. 

I really like 3DCoat but its obvious to me that its authors doesnt have any idea how to present this program to new users. I know that if you have 20 or so, you can take it as a adventure. But as I`m a little older than that I would like to learn it with decent course that will allow me to dive into the software quickly. 

In my regular job I work as packaging designer with Cinema4D + Vray with Keyshot. But I think that 3Dcoat will not be very useful in that field for me. 

But for some time I try to make some side projects. My goal is to start working on science fiction / space ship / hard surface stuff. I know that with 3DCoat I could achieve this goal in no time, but... I need to get know with the software which for now is quite a pain. For the last year I took some courses to some different softwares (Marvelous, Octane, Substances, ZBrush, Blender + Hard Ops, etc) and I must sadly say that 3DCoat has worst tutorial / course database. All of these software are quite complicated ones, but either users or developers themself created decent courses that allows to learn their software in no time. 

And here we are with the 3DCoat. Yes, there are a lot of tutorials but most of them are deprecated as 3DCoat developers tend to make a dozen of changes within only one version update. Take a 3Dsmax, Maya or even ZBrush for example. You can watch 3,4,5 year tutorial and still you can go along. Sure, sometimes some tools can change, but not at this level. 
Yesterday I watched 1 year old tutorial of Anton Tenitsky and it was outdated already and I could'nt follow along with it.

Dont get me wrong, I know that I`m fresh user and I dont want to offend developers in any way. It is just weird to me, that even if developers tends to change their software so often they should create a platform that allows fresh users to undestrand what is going on. Without it, 3Dcoat is a great software but only for "hardcore" fans and users. Rest of us will just bounce of it very soon.

• Like 1

Finding the appropriate software that allows us to customize our own workflow to make our designs is a search that takes time, and due to the rapid technological changes it always needs to be updated since our knowledge of the tools is quickly obsolete.

The changes allow keeping the software updated to solve new work needs, 3DC is characterized by maintaining a high innovation curve. Many users like that, others don't.

This series are for Hard Surface Space Ships.

I wish you luck with your search !

• Advanced Member
2 hours ago, AndrewG said:

I didnt know how to complete this course as many of the tools that Robert used was working in other way that he showed. 

Thats the general problem, if some tool tutorial is older then a year it is highly propabally that it will work completely different than in recent version.

I didn't have any problems with that course. Probably because i installed the same version (4.5.37).
https://3dcoat.com/ru/download/older-version/

When I learn new software i always tend to install the exact version that i see in the tutorial.

Edited by druh0o

Like I said, I dont want to offend anybody. I just thought to ask if someone know something that I missed. Also, I just wanted to share how fresh user may feel when approaching to 3DCoat. I think that such feedback can be quite valueable to 3DCoat developers. I really believe that you know what you do, but as I know from experience, sometimes designer (or developer in this case) may forgot that after all every project / software is for end user:)

Cheers!