3DCoat Forums

how to make glove?

pickers

• Advanced Member

Currently only pose tool seems to be able to make the fingers larger without changing the position. But that would require painting of fingers and enlarging them individually.

Manual painting of fingers are so SLOWwwww...... and prone to mistake like painting on to other fingers.

These are the current faster ways that i could come up with :

if in surface mode ,

- quick pose tool = select the tip of the finger and "expand"(in tool options)

- pose tool = enlarge the width of finger.

if in voxel mode,

- freeze tool = lasso select (ignore back face = unchecked).

- as lasso select seems to be harsher with hard edge, use script (fp_multi_smooth.cpp, 100x) to smooth the freeze edge.

- pose tool = enlarge the width of finger.

Are there any other easier/faster ways that i should know of?

• Advanced Member

The way I usually make hands /gloves is to make the palm and fingers seperately then 'glue' them together at the last minute.  So say if I was doing a glove I would make one finger ,sculpt any seams stiching I required then duplicate this one several times adjusting the dimensions and pose to suit. The same process with fingernails ...just sculpt one finger  then duplicate then glue together why sculpt 10 finger nails when you only need to do 1. You just need to do a bit of clean up at the joins when you are done.

• Advanced Member

@stusutcliffe I have seen similar approaches with this. Except it were done in 3d max? or blender. The approach was to use low poly sculpting and have the fingers and palm joined together by its vertices. I think i would need to brush up my soft sculpting skill by a mile first when using 3d coat for this.

@sprayer That was what i was looking for. Thanks!

Thanks everyone for helping! :-)

16 hours ago, pickers said:

I have tried duplicating and enlarging the hand copy but the position of the fingers are off. 

That would need more effort to make adjustment for animation rigging.

Let me try this again with "pose" on fingers.

Try the Vox Layer tool ! 

this should give you the exact thickness you need 

• Advanced Member

Here is another way.

You could use the new improved cloth.

Take the hand to retopo, make a retopo mesh around the sculpt then import that back to the sculpt room onto the hand. You can adjust the thickness on the fly to suit. You wouldnt really have to run much of a simulation and you could massage a few creases on to it .

( not actually tried this, but made a decent pair of trouser in about 15 minutes! which I suppose is like two giant fingers ha ha )

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

The cloth tool is pretty good, I tried draping a scarf into a heap, it was ok, but I dont think it has self collision with the thickness  so I got a lot of intersections. Self collision would take it to the next level! ( wonder if anyone is working on that ,or maybe I have missed a setting)  Imagine ...you could make a plate of spagetti just by dropping it . I wonder if the latest Blender could do it..

( Not that I need a plate of imaginary spasgetti:rofl:)

• Advanced Member

This is the first time that i have tried cloth. What worked were lowering the gravity and increasing subdivision in the tool options. Which also meant beefier machine is much preferred. Making coffee was faster than the cloth simulation.

Here is a plate of imaginary noodles (virtual, not baked yet).  Looks like it does self "intersection".

intersectingNoodles.jpg.e633335a1181ad0df9a5e1545701c985.jpg

BasicStrand.jpg