3DCoat Forums

[Solved] Coat with cutout problem

I'm liking some of the new functionality with the curves. It's going to make my life easier!

I'm having a problem with the coat tool. When I have a shape with a cutout, I can get it to work sometimes, but other times it seems like it refuses to do a cutout. how can I fix this?

You can see the gap in the upper left of the image. that was the best I could get. Initially it was chaos, but after a lot of tweaking, I got it to look at least clean, even if it still has that strange gap.

Any advice on how to fix these?

weird curves.png

I figured it out now.

I'm using coat. The problem happened because I generated the curves by converting freeze to curves. This created a single curve which LOOKS like two curves, but when you try deleting some points, you'll find it's actually one curve.  I discovered this when I started deleting points on what I thought was the 2nd curve, the two curves joined together at the place you see there. 

To fix it, I made 2 versions of the curve, and deleted one of the rings from each of them, and then created a hierarchy so the inner curve was the child of the outer curve. Then did the "right click/fill with mesh layer" and it worked great. 

In the future, it would save me a ton of work if it actually generated 2 curves. I could create the parenting relationship myself, but needing to create my own copy, and deleting so many points is rather cumbersome.

STILL! It's a super awesome feature, and even though it's buggy like this, it will still save me a lot of time.

• Like 1

• Carlosan changed the title to [Solved] Coat with cutout problem