3DCoat Forums

Problem with UVs

DustyShinigami

• Advanced Member

Hi

I'm trying to paint some anatomy guide lines on my model within 3D Coat, but for some reason my UVs aren't correct. In the Texture Editor, they show up completely different and wrong from how I've unwrapped them. I have assigned a Multi-Sub Object/Material IDs in 3ds Max to each part of the character's body, to make it easier to isolate and work on their UVs. Not sure if that's the reason. A list of all the different parts shows up in the Texture Editor, even if I just import a few parts of the model. I've tried importing the UVs and selecting the model, but that hasn't worked either. I'm a bit unsure what to do.

3DC will look at UV tiles as UDIMs, and will allow you to import and export them. The function is currently called "Import UV Tiles as UV Sets". It was called "Import UV Tiles as UDIM", but someone (other than me) changed it back to it's old name.

That said, when you import your file, tick the box "Import UV TIles as UV Sets", and it will import all of your tiles and rename them according to their UDIMs. Then also when you're done and exporting, tick the box "Export UV Sets as UV Tiles", this will keep the UDIM imported tiles and the names assigned to them upon import.

• Advanced Member

I'll have to watch the video a bit later as, incidentally, I'm in my 3D modelling class now. From what I've tried, ticking Import UV TIles as UV Sets hasn't fixed the issue. This is how things are set up in Max and how it looks in Coat. Or the other way around, as the forum has done...

3D-CoatGL64C_rceeMHjqG0.png

3dsmax_VkhcaeO2Wn.png

Edited by DustyShinigami

• Advanced Member

That is strange. I tried it too - in Blender and Maya - and no seams were showing. I'm not even sure if you can isolate different UV sets like you can in Max; they just show up overlapping each other.

That fbx does show the unwraps properly in 3D Coat, though I'm not sure why my export doesn't, and yet an obj does.