3DCoat Forums

Issue with baking normals

michael_somnes

Hi! I'm trying to bake my voxel sculpt onto a flat surface (A basic floor to test materials in unity HDRP) and my UV is basically one quad.

First I make the voxel sculpt, then I do retopology and UV unwrap the retopology object (one quad).
When I go to Bake with Normals, my UV gets twisted clockwise and adjusting it or unwrapping it again warps the normal in such a way that light is bounced 35 degrees off, or more.

Does anyone know how to fix this? Bonus if you could explain how to export to unity HDRP (Base map, Mask Map and Normal map) and all the channels/values because I've been scouring the net for some time and there's some scattered, approximate info about it and some if not most of it is horribly outdated. (I'm using Unity 2019.3 stable release)

Video can be found here (182mb) :
https://www.dropbox.com/s/x0x4zb4nb8z5nbt/baking_normal.mov?dl=0

PS. You can clearly see my process in the video and the scan depth is between the bottom and the uppermost top of the voxel model just to make sure everything gets read.

So I did Sculpt > Retopo > Bake

Now i want to paint it, and when I open the UV room the UV's are still twisted. If i unwrap again the normal map will also be twisted, messing up reflections.

twisted.png

If i split the 1-quad surface into 4, the UV is not twisted. Is this a bug or just me being dumb?

twisted2.png

Edited by michael_somnes

Hi

Sorry, using version 4.9.28 i cant replicate this issue.

After Bake go to Paint room.

You only need to switch to UV room (Paint Room <> UV room <>  Tweak Room) if need to perform some changes to current UV, if not it is not necessary.

Paint.jpg

Settings_2.jpg

Well I did make models and import them properly into unity, that's not the issue. (Edit: I am using 3DCoat 4.9.05 (GL for Unity))
I was trying to point out that if you make a retopo object of 1 quad (A flat floor for example), baking normal map onto it twists all the maps clockwise. It does not occur if i split my one quad into 4.

Here are 4 images of a quick test asset, voxel sculpt -> retopo -> paint room -> unity
It just doesn't work if I am working with a 1 quad surface such as a floor or a wall piece.

1_result.png.3b6b020b9e0b7591e6bd0b233efa755d.png
Paint room

3_voxel.png.ae9551bd2e63deaa6827cf30022086b8.png
Voxel Sculpt

2_retopo.png.ce590ffebf4e4d0087731eae877f0134.png
Retopo object

4_unity.png.4e9880c3f7d14c90c9e48f3988065a60.png
Inside unity (working)

Edited by michael_somnes