3DCoat Forums

Keep local axis on object creation?

Gary Dave

• Advanced Member

I'm surprised it's taken me this long to notice, but it seems you can only keep an objects local axis if the centre of its mass was created at 0,0,0 without any rotations. So if you're following a reference and have to create primitives in different places, you immediately lose a lot of symmetrical benefits. Here's an example: 

Left = current default behaviour.
Right = what I would like the behaviour to be when creating an object.

Symmetry.thumb.jpg.610dfad23d9780be50f1ac4f896faac6.jpg

The only workaround at the moment is to create each piece as you need it, making sure it's matching your reference planes, and then reset its position and axis before applying it, then applying it and moving it back to where you had it before. Mind boggling!

I don't know if this is just a recent issue, or maybe it's always been like this, or if most of my work up until now has never needed this. But I am now discovering that most of the blockout work I've done over the last 2 days will need to be re-done, because I need to keep the objects local axis in place.

On the other hand, I'm reeeaaally hoping that maybe I'm missing something and being stupid. I'm using version 4.9.17

Edit:

Oh I should mention that I am well aware of the symmetry options like "Pick from bound box" but that does not work if your objects have rotations.

Edited by Gary Dave
predicting someones solution.

• Advanced Member

But had you already created the object? Because sure if I create the object at 0,0,0 without rotations and then move it, everything is fine. What I'm trying to do is not create all my objects at 0,0,0, I would like to create them where I need them, and to have them keep their local axis. 

• Advanced Member

Okay so I just tried 4.9.29 and it's the same problem. Fresh install of 4.9.29, new scene, new layer:

Just to clarify: First object (sphere) shows root position creation = All is fine.

Second object shows non-root creation position, also scale/rotation differences. = Cannot get symmetry to align with what should be this objects local axis.

Third object = same as second, but created at the root, and then moved. = All is fine (except for the fact that you have to make all your objects at the root)

For the "Pick 1" option, I do not see how it helps. Am I missing something? 

Exactly, because need to be children of first object.

I usually create an empty layer (V or S, dont care) and put all my models below hierarchy as children's.

Symmetry settings are not globally assigned but by layer.

Yes, now I see the problem more clearly. Thx

Always i put the model on Global Scape, activate symmetry and then apply transform. 

From what I see, reversing the steps causes inconvenience.

Reported. Thx.

• Thanks 1