3DCoat Forums

Importing Models/Alphas into most recent 3DCoat

Mack

• Advanced Member

Hey Carlosan, so  most of my stuff got moved over successfully. But I have had an issue with some model folders . The folders (Model) got moved over but the folder is empty. Where can I find these models in the 3DCoat files?

• Advanced Member

They are not there.

Is it better to Save to Meshes or Export to OBJ and then load that part into 3dcoat? 

Sometimes I buy a  kitbash set and Import it. It imports as one large object which I then use the split tool to separate the parts and save them into my folders. 

I add kitbach meshes to Windows > panels > Models if they don't have uvs (Sculpt Room).

Windows > panels > RetopoModels if they have uvs (Retopo Room).

* sidenote: try Panels > Joints, very useful.

My steps are a little cumbersome

Create a new folders inside

C:\Users\username\Documents\3D-CoatV49.####\VoxStamps\Objects\CreateNewFolderHere

Copy all obj inside that folder

Open 3DC, ON Panels > Models you can see the new folder with the models listed.

If your model is only one obj with separate parts, use surface mode with this Import Settings

Sometimes you can get wrong topology after import because triangles or overlapped faces.

Bad thing: this setting separate all parts. So another step is to merge visible all models parts.

I still couldn't find an easier option, for me the best thing is to separate everything into another external app.

import.jpg

ImportResult.jpg

• Advanced Member

When I import the kitbash into  keyshot for example, all the parts are separate. Not sure what are the mechanics that make that happen.

What I would want is to import the kitbash and have all the parts be separated. Voxels preferably.