3DCoat Forums

Sketchup files & 3DC

kenmo

• Advanced Member

My earlier post about Form Z got me thinking about Sketchup. I have gathered  quite a few Sketchup files over the years. Most are from Google Warehouse (no 3D Warehouse) and a few are ones I created in older versions of Sketchup.

I'm using the free version which lacks the pro exporters. However there free OBJ exports and the free version does export to DAE. All these exported models get badly deformed in 3DC. But load fine in Blender 2.8a, Silo 2.5, Hexagon 2.5, Vue Creator, Wings 3D 2.2.5 & Daz 3D Studio. Anyone know of a fix for these tricky Sketchup files?

I did google this forum and tried some which did not resolve the issue.

Cheers & many thanks...

Ken

• Advanced Member

I found a plug in for Blender 2.79 that imports Sketchup files into Blender 2.79. The present version does not work with Blender 2.80.

I did not have Blender 2.79 installed on my computer. But I have 2.78 and 2.80, 2.81 & 2.82 installed. As advertised the plugin would not work with 2.8x. However I did install it on 2.7.

Once I got the model into Blender 2.82, using the 3DC applink in Blender I sent the file into 3DC's paint room. 

WOW...quite pleased...

https://www.blender3darchitect.com/blender-3d/how-to-import-sketchup-files-to-blender-2-8/

https://github.com/martijnberger/pyslapi/releases

Armed with 3DC, MOI3D, Blender & Daz Studio  our hobby has gotten to be quite affordable. And throw into the mix Hexagon Silo3D & Vue Creator.

Edited by kenmo
correct post

• Advanced Member

I found a neat model of a midly customized 1946 Ford  on 3D Warehouse and brought it into Blender 2.78. Saved as a blender file. Opened it in 2.82 and sent to 3DC via app link.

I don't like spending too much time in Blender 2.78 as I find it very confusing. BUT I enjoy Blender 2.8x.

One issue and it's not a big problem for me but each part of the model had to be sent individually to 3DC.

I suspect it's the nature of modeling in Sketchup and saving each model piece as a Sketchup component?

47 ford in blender.JPG

46 ford in blender 280.JPG

46 FORD IN 3DC.JPG

Edited by kenmo
  • Like 1

• Advanced Member

The only issue I been finding annoying is flipped normals. And this is NOT a 3DC issue. It's an issue with Sketchup models. A simple fix is to resend the part back to 3DC and select inverse normals .

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

Just purchased the Blender Addon "Bmesh Clean" for cleaning up Sketchup meshes after being imported into Blender.

I opted for the Pro Pack Version which includes plugin versions for Blender 2.7x & 2.8x. 

Since free Sketchup addon for Blender I' mentioned earlier in this thread  presently only works with Blender 2.79. 

Only purchased last night and been very busy with my photo editing. However from the few tests I've done, it seems to work well converting tris to quads. However a few ngons remained in the models and where not converted to quads. Maybe an option or parameter I overlooked.. I still had to some manual work on the meshes.  

Bottom line, I can't complain about the $15 bucks USA I spent ($20 Canadian is what it cost me).

Cheers everyone , stay safe & healthy.

xlarge-a5d00123c9f24a309166c736f0fd714a.

https://blendermarket.com/products/bmesh-clean-add-on

• Like 1