3DCoat Forums

3D Coat Pink Edges / Can't post in 3D Coat Section

Hi Professional Software Developers,

Seriously frustrated, so attempt to overlook any snark that comes through.

I'll start with the forum issues. I cannot seemingly post in the 3D Coat section, nor can I reply to any posts in the 3D Coat section, neither in that section, or from the front page (Those sections are greyed out). Why can't I post there? Thus, I have posted here.

3D Coat problems.

Pink Edges for 'Sharp Edges" seem to show up no matter what I do. I've seen people say: "select all edges and Clear Sharp" but, I've never seen a "Clear" sharp button on the UV-Unwrap menu.

Here's my process in image format:
PinkSucks.thumb.png.9b402a03a4ebb47993cad418e990728a.png

As you can see, it defaults to the hateful pink edges even without requesting it do this, and while ia see a button proclaiming Sharp Seams, how the heck do I remove ALL sharp seams. I HATE, HATE HATE these pink marks, obscuring my seam markings. Please please turn them off by default.

3) Something it also does, which is infuriating, is move parts of my FBX file around. I've tried 'No Center Snap', I've tried 'Center Snap' selected, and without seeming cause, messes up positioning on SOME fbx files. Nothing like this happens upon importing the same files into Zbrush, Substance or Marmoset. The files originate from 3DSMax and I always export with the same settings, and sometimes, it messes up the alignment some parts in relation to other parts.

4) Sometimes, edges are very close together, and my brush will simply not get small enough to select a particular edge when trying to make a seam. It'll snap to selecting one seam close to it but it avoids the seam I want. Very very annoying.

5) Sometimes parts of a mesh, upon using 'Unwrap', tangle the hell up, and become INCREDIBLY SMALL... and it takes me ages to see that they've done that if it's a spare polygon or three, but regardless, every time I try to flatten them out, they re-tangle up and become tiny, requiring me to use a rectangular lasso to select them. Large chunks of poly-space can end up invisible in the UV Preview space.

Guys, it's getting to the point that it's (I can't believer I'm saying this) easier to UV unwrap in 3DSMax. Can we please go back to making this program rock solid and really good at what it does, and be LESS worried about adding the kitchen sink?

Yes, that's fine but I can't even -start- a post in the 3DCoat section. What's THAT about? Sure, wait to approve but let me post there.

It's irrelevant, at this point. I just want my questions answered.

Okay so, I have a new problem. I'm getting my mesh in .FBX triangulated now, on import.

I solved the misalignment of parts of my mesh by resetting the XForm on everything.

Of course NOW, upon import to 3DCoat, my mesh is getting triangulated, with the setting above. No, I have not selected Triangulate. Now I did not select triangulate on export. Good grief. Why am I beta-testing instead of being productive??

I've exported everything as an OBJ, I'll map them all, then re-export back to Max, then re-export as FBX and I'll re-pack. I'm not sure what else to do at this point, but nothing I've tried has not resulted in messed up island layouts on some pieces, and one of the parts getting triangulated.

If something changes, I'll update.

• 2 weeks later...

Sure. Why not. However, I've loop-holed the issue. that, frankly, for the sake of absolute clarity:

Sharp Seams are marked EVEN IF I DO NOT SELECT THAT OPTION on the 'Import to UV' menu.

My Solution:

Make all normals smooth within 3DSMax before export. This, will not work well with all models, but it's going to get me through for now.

Why Auto Sharp Seams are an issue in my UV flow:

Because I don't want the damned sharp-marked seams getting in the way of making fast edge loops. Even if I "Clear Seams", those damned Sharp Seams marks prevent the Edge Loop tool from going past them. It's AMAZINGLY annoying and frankly, it's some sloppy design to let this Auto Sharp Seams thing slip through beta. Bad form, Pilgway. One of MANY problems with 3D Coat of late, that, I pray will get fixed soon.

harp_stringboard_lowUPLOAD.obj

Edited by TheOubliette
Changed file upload.