3DCoat Forums

Presets vs Default Brushes

lambertj21

(I haven't found an answer for this elsewhere, hopefully not a duplicate.)

Using a new install sequence:

1. Install the app.
  2. Open into surface sculpting.
  3. Use rapid smooth brush - get used to how it works by default, no tweaks besides radius/depth.
  4. Switch to the out of the box presets, choose Polish group and then select "Polish Flat" which is a preset configuration of the rapid smooth brush...basically it digs in.
  5. Now there is no switching back to a default rapid smooth brush that goes back to building up instead of digging in.  That is, unless I switch to another preset that I like for the rapid smooth.

The preferences settings for "Remember Brush..." and "Remember Own Brush..." don't make a difference here.

Am I missing something?  It feels like presets completely stomp on a default functionality that you would start with.  This makes me use ONLY presets and therefore the nicer tool selector window and the space bar quick access window are of little value.  I hope I'm missing something.

@Carlosan, the above sequence is to use the default brush, switch to a preset based on the same brush, and then use a totally different brush so that you can switch back to what the sequence started with.  But, you can't get back to the beginning since the preset is what is still being put into action.

It seems that the solution is to duplicate the actual brush first (right click and choose duplicate and give it a proper name) before using any presets of that brush.  This gives you one to base presets on and one to grab as an 'original'...something you can expect default functionality from. 

I don't find this very intuitive or user friendly.  A preset should toggle you into a copy of the brush.

• Like 1

Yes, that and many other settings can be controlled by the preset mechanism.  After you use a handful of brushes, you have no awareness of how a tool/brush is going to work without testing it.  This is why I said it seems like if you are going to use presets, you have to stick to just presets.

Presets are a set of brush modification done by every user and are useful to keep a "library" of own sets.

Same as any Tools, can be duplicate if need to keep your own original settings.

Another new tools named Custom > BaseBrush are very useful too, let you create a new category of stacked tools.

Custom.jpg