3DCoat Forums

AMD vs Intel Power-users Q:

Southern_Cross

Suggestions by Power users / Devs on recommended CPU

Currently i9-9900k, 64 GB Mem

I had a game model that I needed to work on, it had 43 Million Tris in Voxel mode. System froze and chugged. Changed to Serface Mode, system crashed (GPU error, and memory error) (Memory at 46%)

What system specs would I need to operate on such a model smoothly?

Sincerely.

Hi 

It is not the way to work on 3DC. 43M on one mesh on Voxel mode is almost impossible for any configuration.

On 5/24/2013 at 6:39 PM, ebitz said:

I use voxels to create just that volume, or mass, something that I can sculpt on. It does however provide alot of tools for detailing a volume as well. After creating the basic mass, I switch to surface mode because it is fast. And when I am in surface mode if I have sculpted something that begins to stretch the skin of my volume all I have to do is hit enter, and the surface re-volumizes for even distribution while still leaving me in surface mode. .

• Reputable Contributor

I've had way more than 43million polys in a scene, and it not slow the system down. That's with an AMD Ryzen 2700X and ThreadRipper 1950X (64GB RAM). I wonder if the INTEGRATED GRAPHICS on the 9900K might be the source of the problem. You might check with Andrew about this (support@3DCoat.com)

• Like 1

• Advanced Member
On 4/6/2020 at 11:02 AM, AbnRanger said:

I've had way more than 43million polys in a scene, and it not slow the system down. That's with an AMD Ryzen 2700X and ThreadRipper 1950X (64GB RAM). I wonder if the INTEGRATED GRAPHICS on the 9900K might be the source of the problem. You might check with Andrew about this (support@3DCoat.com)

Can I ask what video card you are using? I ask as I just built a Ryzen 7 3700x and still using an older Nvidia GTX 750 card. I do have a  GTX 1060 in my I7-4770 which I use as my daily due to the large Lightroom catalog of 15,000 photos and images. At some time I may transfer my photos over to the Ryzen 3700x and them relocate the GTX 1060 to the 3700x. Or use the 3700x only for 3D and the I7 for photo editing and 2D.

Cheers

kenmo

• Reputable Contributor
9 hours ago, kenmo said:

Can I ask what video card you are using? I ask as I just built a Ryzen 7 3700x and still using an older Nvidia GTX 750 card. I do have a  GTX 1060 in my I7-4770 which I use as my daily due to the large Lightroom catalog of 15,000 photos and images. At some time I may transfer my photos over to the Ryzen 3700x and them relocate the GTX 1060 to the 3700x. Or use the 3700x only for 3D and the I7 for photo editing and 2D.

Cheers

kenmo

It's a GTX 1080Ti

On 4/6/2020 at 10:02 PM, AbnRanger said:

No - As I have upgraded to a R9 3950 and now I'm having issues with 6 Million Tris - Surface mode with a CUT

I love this Software, I know that the Devs are working hard. But this is disappointing I really thought my i9-9900k was a bottle neck, but it's not.

I'm using Benchmarking software to make sure everything is running fine on my PC and it is.

I can now push 20 Million Tris on Voxel mode, but using the tools is hit or miss. 

Screenshot (80).png

Annotation 2020-04-15 170617.png