3DCoat Forums

Correct update process

tomhowell

What is the correct update process, starting to have half a dozen 3dcoat folders, all with diff version numbers, what is the correct way to install updates, running out of disk space and don't see a need to keep old versions. Don't want to do anything to make program stop working...any help would be grateful. Tom

• Advanced Member

I usually install every other beta. I have about 5 versions at the moment. Every now and again if I find a version is working great for me I will uninstall the earlyest couple of versions so I dont get bogged down. But like you say the folders are still in your programs folder, but just had a look and the folders that have had its version uninstalled  do not seem to contain much and are very small memory wise. Maybe it would be ok to just delete them if the actual app has been uninstalled. Just thoughts , maybe hang on until someone smarter chips in.

Edited by stusutcliffe
added

12 hours ago, tomhowell said:

What is the correct update process, starting to have half a dozen 3dcoat folders, all with diff version numbers, what is the correct way to install updates, running out of disk space and don't see a need to keep old versions. Don't want to do anything to make program stop working...any help would be grateful. Tom

Hey Tom, If I may add my advice. Try sticking with version(((  05 Very stable   Direct Link 3d-Coat-V4_9-05-64.exe )))) until the next release is really stable maybe 39 is, but 34 wasn't even if it was a official release. 3Dcoat is cool with all it's updates, but there is no need to update all the time to the latest versions. It may be cool to always be updated and to try out the latest features yet it is not essential..

If you use eBay or something alike. I'd recommend buying a simple old  30 bucks hard-drive with  80mb/s + reads and writes and maybe 250gb space they may be a bit old, but I have a few since over 5-10 years  ( my tip a NAS server HD they are always on sell) and they work just fine or if you have a few more coins to spare get a fast ssd 120gb 510mb/s or more ( trying to keep it price friendly sure you could go all in too :)  ) that is if you want to have more versions or other Programs that need faster speeds.... Also if you have lots of Materials the best way to  bring them over to a Version that you like. Would be just by Migration. 3DCoat has it built in inside the last few latest versions for a while now. Same goes for the Version Path data you can change it now directly inside of 3Dcoat.

I still do it the manual way

Steps:

Create a folder on a extra hard-drive.

so : Folder name = 3DCoat_49_05 then when you install 3Dcoat just either change it with the Automation that is build inside of 3DC or create a new "txt" document on your desktop "coat_data_path.txt" then inside that doc change it to the driver

etc: Like this >> D:\3DCOAT\49_05 " what ever driver Alphabet name the driver name is for you. Then just put that " Text doc " inside the installed folder of 3DCoat.

If you already installed the version you like using then delete it from the " Documents folder " that way 3DC gives you a clean setup and you will have it now inside that new folder with the basics.

It will ask you for the code just hit try or type it in again. Also if you want to keep the old stuff " that is if you have  self made stuff " just hit the Migration inside of 3DC and it will auto transfer anything you want from the old Version " No clue how many versions are supported "

Hope this helps Good Luck ! :)

Edited by Speike-Styles