3DCoat Forums

What kind of message is this?

TheOubliette

Who are you guys farming the work out to, because a warning message about a precise process, should not contain the word "Anyway", which in english is generally used to denote that the previous statement has little importance, and you should not pay much attention to it. Additionally, SOMEONE who speaks english needs to proof-read these alerts, because this just looks sloppy, which, considering the bugs 3D Coat has lately, shouldn't surprise me. "they was" should possibly be "they were".

EvenEnglish.PNG

Edited by TheOubliette

• Reputable Contributor
2 hours ago, TheOubliette said:

Who are you guys farming the work out to, because a warning message about a precise process, should not contain the word "Anyway", which in english is generally used to denote that the previous statement has little importance, and you should not pay much attention to it. Additionally, SOMEONE who speaks english needs to proof-read these alerts, because this just looks sloppy, which, considering the bugs 3D Coat has lately, shouldn't surprise me. "they was" should possibly be "they were".

EvenEnglish.PNG

I agree to some extent, but it's probably because Andrew and much of the Pilgway staff, although English is not their native language, they do speak fairly good English, otherwise. That is why you might see some old legacy notes like this (that almost no one sees) be phrased like this. Anyway is probably better stated "NEVERTHELESS, the Islands were projected onto the average normal plane to get the UV Coordinates."

BTW, You can hit F9 while hovering over any UI text to correct and send the correction to the developers.

Hi

Thx for your help

Please press F9 to make corrections and send them to the development team.

Instructions:

http://3dcoat.com/index.php?eID=languagescorrection&action=showtermsofuse

you will receive an e-mail (but only once!) just to make sure that you haven't pressed either of those buttons by mistake.

Edit.jpg

Sidenote:

Attention: not all islands are absolutely flat. However, they were projected onto an average normal plane to obtain UV coordinates.

• Reputable Contributor
2 hours ago, TheOubliette said:

EvenEnglish.PNG

....Also, when you said "CONSIDERING THE BUGS IN 3DCOAT LATELY" you do realize these are BETA builds, right? What do you typically experience during BETA testing? That's correct....a lot of bugs. That's part of the reason it's open to everyone, not just a few....so more people can root out the problems that exist and solutions are created much faster than they would otherwise. I get frustrated at them, too, but refactoring an entire codebase will create a higher than normal number of issues. It's getting there. Fixes are coming on almost a daily basis.

• Like 1

On 4/16/2020 at 6:29 PM, AbnRanger said:

....Also, when you said "CONSIDERING THE BUGS IN 3DCOAT LATELY" you do realize these are BETA builds, right? What do you typically experience during BETA testing? That's correct....a lot of bugs. That's part of the reason it's open to everyone, not just a few....so more people can root out the problems that exist and solutions are created much faster than they would otherwise. I get frustrated at them, too, but refactoring an entire codebase will create a higher than normal number of issues. It's getting there. Fixes are coming on almost a daily basis. 

You know, that's a fair statement, if I was using a beta build, which I'm fairly certain I'm not. I'm using the latest release from the 3D Coat website, V.4.9.34. How are these -beta- builds? I'd happily go back to an earlier version that is rock-solid, doesn't have me banging my head against my desk half the day. Can you or anyone point me toward an install that does Retopo and UV unwrapping the way it used to about three years back? That's what I bought 3D Coat for. I have software for all other aspects of my workflow, and this is driving me utterly spare.

If this is what's causing all my frustration, I'll do anything I can to get it fixed. I -really- want to go back to liking 3D Coat. Believe me, but of late it's a hassle, and I'm quickly developing an aversion to using it.

Actually, upon checking update notes, looks like 4.9.37 fixes -several- issues I've been having over the course of the last few weeks. I'm going to hope updating solves the things that have been making me consider that sticking my hand in a meat grinder would feel like. Annnnd, I don't think I'm using a Beta Build, AbnRanger. I just don't have enough time in my life to bug-test software.

• Reputable Contributor
15 minutes ago, TheOubliette said:

Actually, upon checking update notes, looks like 4.9.37 fixes -several- issues I've been having over the course of the last few weeks. I'm going to hope updating solves the things that have been making me consider that sticking my hand in a meat grinder would feel like. Annnnd, I don't think I'm using a Beta Build, AbnRanger. I just don't have enough time in my life to bug-test software.

4.9.05 was the latest build before the refactoring work, so that is a decent fallback option, when you run into issues with subsequent builds. A lot of work has been done since to not only add new functionality, but to bring the app to a very stable state. It's getting there, steadily, with lots of fixes coming multiple times per week on average.

Okay, great. Any way that you know of that I can download THAT build? I just installed 4.9.37, and one of my current issues is that when trying to import an OBJ with multiple materials into the UV room, and I UNSELECT  "Treat Materials As Separate Textures", it unselects, but it STILL imports the OBJ and assigns all the materials as separate layers, even though the patch notes state: " FBX & multiple UV sets problem fixed."

Perhaps in fixing that, they overlooked the issue of trying to import an OBJ to the UV room, or perhaps that was a -different- issue.

Then again, I'm not on the QA team there at Pilgway, so I just want my software to work and do the very basic tasks I need it to do. i Don't use 90% of the package. I JUST want it for UV and Retopo and to not spend 50% of my time trying to do an end-run around the mounting problems with the "Refactoring" builds that are clearly not ready for public release, and need MORE beta testing. These builds are the ONLY downloads on the 3D Coat website, and they're time-sinks, to people who live and die by deadlines on art. I couldn't care less about new functionality, when the old functionality suffers.

If you can point me in the direction of an earlier build, 4.9.05 or even earlier, I'll download it. Thanks.

Texture Layers.PNG

Edited by TheOubliette

• Advanced Member

WOW... I can not believe someone would be so critical of the wording of a message in a beta software. From what I gather from being on this forum and using 3D Coat for quite a few years, Andrew and his team are very dedicated to this software. I only wish their were more dedicated like him and Michael Gibson (MOI3D). The final software products Microsoft & Adobe sell seem to have more bugs and issues then Andrew's beta copies of 3DC.

Just my 2 cents.