3DCoat Forums

[Bug] Performance problem with surface sculpting

Juhani Karlsson

Hi, 

I´m sculpting mesh in surface more and it's only 3,3 million triangles. Every time I start the brush brushstroke I get stutter for a second or so and it makes the sculpting very hard.

I have threadripper 2950x16 core, RTX2080, 64 gigs of memory and latest drivers. I think there is something else wrong because 3D Coat should be able to crunch that easily.

Does anyone had similar problems?

Cheers,

-J 

Hi,

I´m happy to say that disabling "Multi-Core" option made it quite a bit faster and smoother but still it's far from optimal. ( It starts to stutter around 10 mil polys on single core)
This however makes me feel that there might be problems with Threadripper or CPUs with very many cores? How's other users rippers feel'in?

Cheers,

-J

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, same issues. I haven't used 3dCoat for sometime, recently upgraded to the latest stable release. I have a fairly standard gaming rig with a GTX 1070 Ti, latest drivers. But 3dCoat overall interactivity is sluggish from what I remembered previously. Everything from navigating, to painting to sculpting is sluggish and erratic. The brush hesitates then jumps, lurches when I try to paint. It stutters. Parts of the UV maps will flash in and out when I try to paint, flicker and disappear until I paint more or rotate the view. It's unusable for me. I don't remember any of this happening from earlier versions a few years ago. I do not have this issue in Substance Painter nor Zbrush :wacko:

Edited by chikega

• Advanced Member

I have a gtx1070 (not ti) and an i7 and don't have these issues with a few million polys. Some large smoothing brush might take a moment but extruds and build brush work fine.

If you have a spacemouse, you need to have it connected. 3d coat can't handle it if you have the drivers installed but not the hardware connected, it will just come to a crawl. They mentioned this was fixed in a recent patch note but it absolutely is not fixed.

Edited by Innovine

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member
17 hours ago, Carlosan said:

@InnovineSpacemouse issue: Not fixed in v4.9.46 neither ?

The problem is still there in 4.9.46.

I start 3d coat without the spacemouse connected. There is a lot of lag and stuttering, the program is unuseable. Then I connect the USB cable from the spacemouse, and the stuttering goes away one second later, and now its very smooth.

The stuttering appears even if the rooms are completely empty, just rotating the camera with the mouse shows a lot of stuttering.

Edited by Innovine

• 4 months later...
  • Carlosan changed the title to [Bug] Performance problem with surface sculpting
  • 4 weeks later...