3DCoat Forums

FBX Export Objects & Textures Scale issue to Unity ?

• Advanced Member

Hi - I'm using an FBX in Lightwave and when imported into 3DC for per pixel painting (just to double check UVs, assign normals, color, & spec textures) and then export using the Unity Preset in File > Export - the resulting FBX in Unity is weirdly scaled and/or has an odd pivot point.

How can I retain the scale of the imported FBX and the pivot point so when I export from 3DC Unity and LW will match the same input I put into it.

I checked the Scale settings in 3DC export and it is 1.0.

please help, it's been a few versions ago that I was heavily using 3DC and now it seems much has changed and I don't know my way around it.  All the previous searches I did for this seemed like old info.  I am using 3DC 4.9.3x and Unity 2019.3.9 and LW 2020

thanks!

• Advanced Member

Thank you for your help - but unfortunately (unless I'm doing something wrong), setting the Source Positions checkbox to ON in the 3DC Export Objects & Textures dialog does nothing apparent (it may change vertex order or something I don't know).

I drew a 1m box, at -2m Z for scale reference - it looks like exporting from 3DC changes the pivot and also exports much bigger at maybe 100x?  Changing the scale setting in the export settings window in 3DC doesn't appear to affect this.  Please look at these pictures in LW & Unity and tell me what I'm doing wrong or if this is a 3DC bug?

Thanks! :)

wall_01 is the export from 3DC the 80s_walls_01 is the original:

3DC Export with Source Positions On.png

original FBX.png

objects in Lightwave.png

Edited by popwfx
typo

• Advanced Member

I thought I had it figured out just now and found a "No Center Snap" checkbox on the import, but that didn't seem to make a difference...?

any ideas anyone?  thanks for any help - I'm a bit confused now that I'm back working with 3DC again.... glad to be back!

Edited by popwfx

* Testing version 4.9.41

With command no center snap = ON, i can import to 3DC and keep object center and size.

original.jpg

But size measurement was changed from meters to millimeters.

import.jpg

At export, i need to change scale to 0.01 to keep  visually same size and position, but object scale and translation after import is multiplied by 100.

The export added a rotation that it didn't have .

scale.jpg

changed.jpg

I am reporting this as bug

I found that command additional scale to be applied to the model is not working fine.

By default this scale is taken from the measurement tool, but it does not affect when i select any MeasureUnits on Measure Tool Options.

Thx for point it up.

• Carlosan changed the title to [Bug] FBX Export Objects & Textures Scale issue to Unity ?
  • Advanced Member

Thanks so much for testing, confirming, and reporting this bug in the bug tracker (I don't know how to do that here)!

Any ideas when/how fast a possible fix to this could take?  Does this go to a big backlog, or is this bug serious enough (it is to me :)) to get some love in an update soon?

Edited by popwfx
typo

• Advanced Member

Hi I hope it's ok to ask - is there any update on this?  I did email support with no response.  is the bug you reported being worked on or fixed in any latest updates?  The FBX issue here is a showstopper for my workflow.  Where (what link) can I see the bug ticket of this issue and track it's progress and ETA?

thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Carlosan changed the title to FBX Export Objects & Textures Scale issue to Unity ?