3DCoat Forums

Fill Tool With Vertex Painting

Hello,

I have a single object with multiple, disconnected parts. I would like to use Vertex Painting and fill them all without clicking each one manually. I have tried both 4.9.36 and the latest Beta (4.9.42) but no luck. Is the behaviour in the attached video expected?

Any help much appreciated! Thank you.

John

Hi Stu,

Thanks for replying! Unfortunately, clicking Layer doesn't work either. The only way I appear to be able to fill in Vertex Paint mode is to directly click any objects. I've even tried right-clicking the layer and selecting fill layer but no luck.

I should also probably confirm that Fill Layer/Object both work fine when using per-pixel painting with UVs.

Thanks anyhow!

John

Edited by John Kearney

6 hours ago, pickers said:

the shading looks weird in sculpt room. Inverted normals? Does selecting the different shader in sculpt room help?

Hi, the normals aren’t inverted, it’s just that they are boxes/cubes using one smoothing group so it’s making them look blobby. I’ve tried changing shaders but it makes no difference unfortunately.

• Advanced Member

Thats all weird isnt it. Clicking the Layer option is the way to go. So you have something going on there, its just finding the problem.

Have you tried makeing a complete fresh scene just to see if it does actually work. Maybe a corrupted file. ( am I right to assume your boxes are not your actual scene but just a simple demo of it not working?)

It sounds like something beyond my simple detection abilities.

Maybe you could post the scene so the techies can get their teeth into it.

Edited by stusutcliffe
typo

Yep, the boxes were made just to test it (it wasn't working in my proper scene so thought something there may be the issue). It doesn't even work for me if I create the boxes directly within 3DCoat so I suspect something is wrong with my settings but I have no idea what - especially as I installed the latest update and reset my settings from the Edit menu. I'm totally stumped! :)

Right, something bizarre just happened and it was caught on video luckily! It is self-explanatory so please check out the video - clearly shows it must be a bug?

I immediately undid the one successful fill, and then couldn't do it again! Tried reproducing the steps but no luck. It's all very confusing.

• Advanced Member

Somewhere in your program folder/folders there is a setting/file called Options.xml, deleting this is sometimes recomended by folks to cure a number of ills. I think it just makes itself again a fresh when its deleted but it sort of clears out some rubbish. I dont really understand the under the hood stuff, maybe try this. Or if some techie could explain if this is a good/bad idea or not.

See piccy

But wait to see if anyone has a thought about this.

options.JPG

Edited by stusutcliffe
added image