3DCoat Forums

Using 3dCoat like Fusion360?(need tips)

Denial

Hi everyone! I need help ! I'm trying to cut precisely in half a mesh and I need to shell-command for modify it with a variable thickness  --> something like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nbxm0Pd7pl4

In the end i need to use for more precise model printing use real measures. I don't found a panel where I can set for example lenght and height of a parallelepiped  or something to resize precisely a model previously maked. 

Sorry for silly question but i'm new on 3dcoat :(

• Advanced Member

Yes to me in 3dcoat scale also a bit confusing. The default grid you need to see border of working space, if you exceed border strange things may happen with model during operations. So always work in that grid. You can set scale in Geometry there is three menu: 
- show statistic
- define measurement units
- edit scene scale
So you can set units and work with voxlayer there will be thickness in mm if you set scene units mm. You can check measure with the measure tool

• Like 1

Hi

Geometry > Define Scene Scale

Use this dialogue to define measurement units and voxel density per unit. This voxel density is applicable to the initial scene. After increasing resolution, density will double. Also you should be aware that if you import an object into the scene and choose "Keep initial scale" then the scale will be applied additively to the initial scale.

The general meaning of this tool: - you are specifying initial number of voxels per inch(or other) density (and you can change it at any time). - all units in all tools will be changed at this same time: brush radius, all sizes in primitive tools, coordinates hint in bottom right corner. All coordinates and scale that you see in the scene you will see applied in the exported object

Adjust > measure tool

Click to add points. Use SHIFT to align lines horizontally, vertically or diagonally. Press ESC to stop measure guide creation. New click will start new guide. Click on lines and points to split lines or drag points. Measure guides may be used in other tools as visual markers or snapping guides.

Doubleclick to erase point. Move nearby points together to erase captured point. Use CTRL to avoid snapping to existing points or lines, for example when you need to start new line from existing point or line.

Hope this help