3DCoat Forums

How do I create a spiral without using the curves tool ?

Spacecookie

...in the 3Dcooat forums, so I came here instead.  It wont let me create a post there.

Anyway, hi.

One thing I've been searching for, but have been unable to find is: how do I create a spiral without using the curves tool?

Posts usually end up talking about helical shapes instead of spirals.

I wanted to create a snail shell type of thing, but made of overlapping plates, with exposed 'bottom' edges flanged, but I can't even satisfactorily crate a spiral that allows so many of the initial model to be placed along it without them joining into one snake like object, which is what I get if I try curves, plus curves always leave me feeling that it's not good enough as we can't make perfectly circular curves which follow the rules of spirals.

So please, any help would be very welcome at this point.  Spiral , snail shell, overlapping curved plates, not going to a find point in the centre, following more exact curves than twiddling around with curves tool.

Thank you. Can you recommend a video or some such showing how I would achieve this effect with the warp tool please?
All the ones I find do more of a radial or helical type effect.

This tools are very new and can be found on latest version.

It seems to me that there are no videos showing how it works -it is very recent-, but modifying the values is self-explanatory, it is more trial and error.

It is important to move the center of effect to achieve the desired result. We choose a mesh from the Models panel -or create a new one- and then add the warp tool that acts as a geometry modifier.

• Like 1

• Carlosan changed the title to How do I create a spiral without using the curves tool ?