3DCoat Forums

[Request] faster smoothing for the pose tool

nobackup

• Advanced Member

i tend to use paint select and the pose tool a lot when modelling, but I find the 'smooth selection' tool unbearably slow.    I wish there was a way to make much stronger smoothing more quickly.  I feel spoiled by the masking/selecting tools in zbrush - I wish 3d coats' were just as quick and intuitive.  Please consider some development on this front.  Thanks. 

• Like 3

• Advanced Member
20 minutes ago, Falconius said:

Yeah it's best to avoid it entirely.  Unless your object is really low resolution.

yeah point taken -  i do avoid it, but it would be nice if it just worked.  Sometimes you want to just draw out a selection and smooth it quickly. 

edit*  also the cylinder in the video is pretty light (37K), and it still takes a ton of clicks to smooth it even a bit. 

Edited by nobackup
  • Like 1

• Advanced Member

Oh I agree.  Sometimes you paint a perfect selection but it's got the wrong gradient, or the gradient is in the wrong place, and you wish you could just smooth it out, and you try clicking that a dozen times and nothing happens.  Figuring out how to do redo something you already did but with the added twist of this time you want the gradient correct is a PITA.

• Reputable Contributor

I have always hated the SMOOTH option in the Pose tool. It is slow and not very effective (should be strength parameter), despite work arounds one might turn to, instead. We also desperately need an EXPAND and CONTRACT slider for the selection and another for the GRADIENT. It might have to employ some type of OpenCL acceleration or something, so it can be fairly interactive and not a dreadfully slow adjustment.

• Like 1

• Carlosan changed the title to [Request] faster smoothing for the pose tool
  • Advanced Member
5 hours ago, stusutcliffe said:

Have you tried 'downgrading' the object in the sculpt tree. Or does that cause other limitations.

I've tried, but like I said it's still pretty slow even with very low res objects. Also having to do that every time is a pain. 

23 minutes ago, AbnRanger said:

I have always hated the SMOOTH option in the Pose tool. It is slow and not very effective (should be strength parameter), despite work arounds one might turn to, instead. We also desperately need an EXPAND and CONTRACT slider for the selection and another for the GRADIENT. It might have to employ some type of OpenCL acceleration or something, so it can be fairly interactive and not a dreadfully slow adjustment.

Yeah, I pretty much agree with all of this - spot on.