3DCoat Forums

[Fixed] renaming one UV Set renames a surface material

Innovine

• Advanced Member

I have a scene with two UV Sets. I have performed two bakes, and gotten two different surface materials. I notice that if I rename the first UV Set in the retopo room, the surface material gets renamed too, however if I rename the second UV Set the second surface material does not get renamed.

I am also getting occasional errors saying that the uv sets have the same name, when they are called different things. You can see this naming issue in the screenshot. This occurs even if I dont rename anything and they are called "default" and "default1".

2020-05-25 22_04_39-3D-COAT 4.9.43(DX64)(amateur).png

Edited by Innovine

• Advanced Member

No, this is in the latest stable 4.9.37.

In 4.9.45 the behavior is different, but I think it is still broken. The following describes 4.9.45 behavior:

The UV Set name change does not affect the surface material name, and I think this is a fixed bug. During the bake, the surface material names are created automatically and made unique, showing as "default" and "default1", which I think is also correct. I also think the bake creates two Textures, and incorrectly names them "default" and "default". This probably should use the surface material names.

After the bake I renamed my UV Sets to "1" and "2". So the situation is:

In retopo room menu, UV Set names are "1" and "2".

In the Mesh & Texture Resolution panel, the UV Set names are displayed as "default" and "default".

In the Surface Materials panel, the two materials are named "default" and "default1".

Here is what I believe happened:

After performing two bakes, 3d coat created two textures, named "default" and "default" (this is an error!), and two surface materials "default" and "default1". I think the textures should have had the same name as the surface materials.

Then, when going to the paint room, it shows an error message reading: "Several UV sets are sharing the same name. Please rename using 'Textures->Mesh & Texture Resolution".

I think this error message text is incorrect. It should read "Several textures are using the same name..."

Worse, when you do go to the Mesh & Texture Resolution panel, you see that it too calls them UV Set Name. I think this panel also needs its text changed to show "Texture name" instead of "UV Set Name".

Once you do perform a rename in the Mesh & Texture Resolution panel, the old names are still displayed in the Texture Editor dropdown list. Currently you have to close the texture editor window and open it again to see the new names.

In summary, I believe there are 3 sets of names being used in this area, UV Set names, Texture names, and Surface Material names, and that 3d coat incorrectly names the Texture Names, and also incorrectly refers to them as UV Set names in multiple places.

The Import Texture dialog box also incorrectly names things. Here again I think the box is using the term "UV Set" when it should say "Texture", since it is displaying the texture name, not the UV Set name.

Hope that explains things somewhat.

2020-05-26 10_48_48-autosave.3b_ - 3D-COAT 4.9.45(DX64)(amateur).png

2020-05-26 10_52_57-autosave.3b_ - 3D-COAT 4.9.45(DX64)(amateur).png

2020-05-26 11_06_32-autosave.3b_ - 3D-COAT 4.9.45(DX64)(amateur).png

2020-05-26 11_19_57-autosave.3b - 3D-COAT 4.9.45(DX64)(amateur).png

Edited by Innovine

• Advanced Member

If it helps, here are my suggested steps to fix the bugs in 4.9.45

1. When baking, the newly created texture name should be set to the same string as the newly created surface material name

2. The text "Several UV sets are sharing the same name" should be changed to "Several textures are using the same name"

3. The Mesh & Texture Resolution panel should change "UV Set Name" to "Texture name"

4. Change the Import Texture dialog box so the text "UV Set" is replaced with "Texture"

5. When a name change occurs in the Mesh & Texture Resolution panel, the dropdown list of texture names in Texture Editor needs to be refreshed.

There may be other places where the terms UV Set and Texture are mixed up...

Edited by Innovine

• Advanced Member

Actually, I am no longer sure about my suggested solution. If I go to the Mesh & Texture Resolution panel and rename them, these new names show up in the UV room as UV Set Names. However, selecting them shows differnt UVs, not the different textures. Doing the same thing in the paint room shows the diffrent textures. The UV Set names in the retopo room are unaffected by any of it.

This whole thing is just too confusing for words. I suggest you guys go and have a nice think about how to decide on some terms which are not re-used, re-interpreted, overlapping, and implement some kind of logical behavior which is easy to understand,. The current thing is so horrible that I cannot even tell if it is working or if it is a bug.

Edited by Innovine

• Advanced Member

I get a further error in the UV room saying "Several UV-sets have the same name. Please rename". However, there is no indication how to do this, nor are there any duplicate names anywhere, as far as I can tell.

Version 4.9.45

After change UVset name and apply changes, everything is working fine.

Sorry i cant replicate.

apply changes.jpg

hint: Open UVset and Surface Material panels at same time to see the changes.

123456.jpg

• Advanced Member

While trying to reproduce this myself I saw the renaming bug again, where the first uv set name changes the surface material but the second uv set name change does not update its surface material. However, i must have performed an extra step somewhere because I cannot reproduce it again. So, there is some order or event which triggers this.

Can you confirm to me that the following are supposed to be true:

1. That the Uv Set names shown in the Retopo menu bar should be the same as those shown in the UV room menu bar

2. That the Uv Set name should be the same as the Surface Material name

3. That the Texture Editor dropdown should show the same names

4. That the Texture Import dialog Uv Set Name should be the same names

I have seen these go very out of sync, you can see it in the screenshots above. I Just have not nailed the exact reproduction steps yet. Perhaps doing a bake before doing the Unwrap is involved...

Edited by Innovine

1- That the Uv Set names shown in the Retopo menu bar should be the same as those shown in the UV room menu bar

No, both work independently, changes are not synchronized between one room and the other

2- the Uv Set name should be the same as the Surface Material name

Is the same name yes, uvlayout names from retopo after bake are listed as Surface Materials, on uv room (Uv room works as Paint Room extension to edit UV layouts, both room are synchronized)

3. That the Texture Editor dropdown should show the same names

No, Texture editor dropdown show Texture channels, not texture names.

• Carlosan changed the title to renaming one UV Set renames a surface material
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Carlosan changed the title to [Solved] renaming one UV Set renames a surface material
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Carlosan changed the title to [Fixed] renaming one UV Set renames a surface material