3DCoat Forums

Why do We have a navigation preset for ZBrush?

Rygaard

• Contributor

I know that my question and opinion can be misinterpreted and even cause some controversy, but I would like to say anyway.

Why do we have a navigation preset for ZBrush?
image.png.fb0ba769f626b445dd9b45894f91cf9a.png

I ask this because I can't understand why 3D-Coat has something that "advertises" or mentions a competing program like ZB.
I do not see and until today that I know, at pixologic Zbrush, any navigation reference or anything else for 3D-Coat inside ZBrush.
If there is something inside ZBrush with the name of 3D-Coat, please tell me and correct me.

I understand that people who use ZBrush and start using 3D-Coat with ZB-like navigation will feel more comfortable, because of course they use ZBrush.
But honestly I don't understand having something with reference to another program like ZB-Like inside 3D-Coat, maybe someone please can explain it to me.
After all, 3D-Coat is another program and 3D-Coat's navigation is very easy to use and much better.

I would love to have a camera navigation preset that simulates 3D-connexion Space Navigator, that would be much more useful and important than having a Preset for ZB-like.
image.png.e7bc79812f8e88f0a435fc7124891319.png

Just my opinion.

I think it corresponds more to having compatible industry presets. 

Blender have maya presets, vue a lot, xsi as i remember too... as many ZB owners use 3DC for retopo or hand painting, an equivalent keymap facilitates faster adoption in their workflow.

For me, 3DC lacks of Custom Keyboard Shortcuts, or total control over Layouts. To have so many keyboard shortcuts and panels and tool position hardcoded makes personal customization not flexible. I attached this video to share the idea (C4D).

...and let's not forget to be able to move the panels outside the main display as floating windows (Substance Painter copycat)

• Contributor

I understand perfectly, but unfortunately the same is not the case with Pixologic.

@Carlosan How coincidental you talk about the 3D-Coat interface, because in the last few weeks, I was thinking a lot about it and I have some ideas (suggestions) in relation to the 3D-Coat interface.

In my opinion, we could, if everyone agreed, comment first on simple ideas and suggestions that could already be implemented in the program today without the developers spending a lot of time to develop the very complex things related to the interface.

I would like to share a small and big contribution regarding this in relation to the huge amount of tools and brushes that exist in the interface. Sometimes, honestly, I get confused to find what I need and the same happens when I press the Space key. And that way my workflow becomes slower.
Thinking about it, I had two simple ideas that I think could be developed without having to develop complex programming code since most of the code would be used because it already exists within the program.
1) Pop ups menus for brushes and tools.
2) Creation of customized buttons for any tools, functions and commands that exist inside 3D-Coat directly on the interface.
In the attached image, I explain in more detail what these two ideas would be like.

popup_brushes_and_custom_space_for_Commands.thumb.jpg.036a6e46bad41b00c30179ce0f8c94ae.jpg

• Contributor

I made a video simulating the pop up menus that I described in the image.

As you can see in the video, the suggestion is very simple and practically works with the programming codes that already exist in 3D-Coat.
Of course, I could have done something different and more complex.
But the idea would be for developers not to spend too much time creating something complex and that way they could quickly implement without much effort and give it to us in the next builds.

Even though these pop-up menus are simple, they would certainly be very useful and practical.
The only thing I didn't do in the video was the customized menu number 6 in the image.
It would be the same as what was presented in the video, but the user could choose any brush or tool to insert in the empty spaces of this menu, thus creating a completely personalized menu.

The other idea of the custom buttons in the empty space that I talked about in the image, I think I don't need to make a video demonstrating.
Since I explained it in an easy way and that everyone can understand in the image.

• Contributor

Simple but important idea...
The user could choose the different Cameras Shortcuts visually through images that would appear on the palette as the user added the camera shortcut.

Just taking advantage of what already exists in 3D-Coat (panoramasList) and adapting to a function in which the user currently has no idea of the camera shortcut that will appear on the screen.
The user has to use the Switch to Next and Switch to Previous commands until reaching the desired shortcut camera.
With the new Icon and Palette Camera Shortcuts the user can easily choose exactly the desired shortcut camera. And if the user wants, he can still use the Switch to Next and Switch to Previous commands normally.

1810839052_camerashortcuts.thumb.jpg.da18bf5c381944c3087dcc676a5e3523.jpg

• Contributor

Another interface element that I miss within the 3D-Coat interface would be the Viewport camera navigation ViewCube.
In the image, I'm putting Maya's ViewCube as an example.

Currently in 3D-Coat only shows a text saying a certain angle.

It would be great to have a navigation system similar to the Maya ViewCube in the 3D-Coat interface.

viewcube_navigation_for_3dcoat.thumb.jpg.f96810671e593ce103f8db4c58e89b6c.jpg

• Contributor
12 hours ago, Rygaard said:

Another simple suggestion, but it would help users a lot. The implementation of a new palette: 3D View camera.

image.thumb.png.7ffba5ebc41a8bfe8896634ee7029bf4.png

I forgot to say one of the options that the 3D View Palette would have ...
The main function of the 3D View Palette would be to have other camera angles that could be manipulated like what happens in 3D programs...
but there would be another option for 3D View Palette:
- that could open another model (.obj, 3b file, and other formats) so that the user has a 3D reference to work with.

• Advanced Member

You should rename the thread, since it's obvious that the reason there is a z-brush preset is to make the program easy to use and intuitive to anyone who wants to pick it up, and also the rest of the thread with it's useful suggestions has absolutely nothing to do with the initial question.

• Advanced Member
On 6/12/2020 at 11:33 PM, Rygaard said:

It would be great to have a navigation system similar to the Maya ViewCube in the 3D-Coat interface.

It's funny because by default there is no viewcube in Maya, it's gone with the legacy viewport and you need to enable it with some special settings, and I think it's good. Never seen anyone using ViewCube in Maya.

• Contributor
13 hours ago, Falconius said:

You should rename the thread, since it's obvious that the reason there is a z-brush preset is to make the program easy to use and intuitive to anyone who wants to pick it up, and also the rest of the thread with it's useful suggestions has absolutely nothing to do with the initial question. 

Thanks for the comment! Unfortunately, I cannot edit the topic name (I am not a forum administrator). I tried to see it in the settings, but I found nothing about it.
You are correct about the name of this Topic is not correct regarding the content.
I already noticed about that!
I will create another Topic to fix things.
After Carlosan commented on the 3D-Coat interface, I responded and I ended up using the same topic to comment on the interface.

Regarding Preset ZB-Like I know and I certainly understand the reason for its existence.
I just think the same is not true for the Pixologic team (there is nothing or any 3D-Coat preset inside ZBrush).

But life goes on!

• Contributor

I just created a new topic just for the 3D-Coat interface and usability. I copied all the contents that are part of the subject.
The Topic link is:

Sorry for two different contents on the same topic.

• Like 1