3DCoat Forums

[Solved] Can't open OBJ File

Rkhane

Hi! I purchased a 3d model and went to open it, but it would not open. It said not enough memory but I have plenty of RAM(32gigs). I even adjusted the virtual memory in windows 8 and it gave me the same error. The file is a OBJ format and is 995 megs large.

I have included a link to the file in my Drop Box if you wanted to give it a shot at importing it.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/gfi89zsxrz4gjj2/Generic%20Male.OBJ?dl=0

I'm not sure what the problem is, i've imported tons of OBJ's without issue.  Maybe it's the size?

Okay, downloaded full trial of Zbrush, loaded the ZTL file, imported as a tool, pre processed the image (took 14 minutes), then decimated it to 2mil polys, exported as a obj and imported into 3d coat, no problems ;)
Thanks for the help, that was crazy!

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Carlosan said:

Is for paint or sculpt ?

Try importing it on Sculpt room using this settings

It's for sculpting. I tried to import the OBJ but it crashes (says it is out of memory) and shuts the program down before it can get to the  tool options window :(
Even though I figured it out with Zbrush, I would still like to know a way around it in 3d Coat. Maybe too many polys or too big for a OBJ file?

• Advanced Member

Hi 

I had a play with this out of curiosity.

Crashed and burned in 3dcoat. 

It opened fine in Blender, though it did take ages to appear. I decimated it to 10 percent, exported as obj and openened in 3dcoat fine.

May be worth your while taking a look at Blender 2.83 rather than Zbrush, Its really good these days. Especially as your demo will run out.

4gig  gtx1050ti gpu by the way, Win 10.

The only downside was  it made all my desktop icons have drop shadows? I will just reboot it will be fine. Must be gpu issue maybe.

1 hour ago, stusutcliffe said:

Hi 

I had a play with this out of curiosity.

Crashed and burned in 3dcoat. 

It opened fine in Blender, though it did take ages to appear. I decimated it to 10 percent, exported as obj and openened in 3dcoat fine.

May be worth your while taking a look at Blender 2.83 rather than Zbrush, Its really good these days. Especially as your demo will run out.

4gig  gtx1050ti gpu by the way, Win 10.

The only downside was  it made all my desktop icons have drop shadows? I will just reboot it will be fine. Must be gpu issue maybe.

Awesome, thanks for your help! I will definitely check out Blender, I've never used it before. I'm just happy I can open the model now! :)

• Advanced Member

Yeah Blender is great now...never thought I would say that. Though I have only scratched the surface. I know enough to put my 3dcoat sculpts in and render them nicely in Eeevee to show my client. I have a little "studio" where I just drop in the model and its ready to go.

• Carlosan changed the title to [Bug] Can't open OBJ File
  • Carlosan changed the title to [Solved] Can't open OBJ File