3DCoat Forums

[Solved] Voxel repair, sculpting... very slow

Hi Forum,

It seems when importing a large polygon count surface mesh into 3DCoat, then voxelizing it at twice the polygon count, the program

becomes extremely sluggish and slow.  I've google searched this issues, see lots of possible solutions. So far none I've tried are helping

i9-9900K

128GB ram

Nvidia Quadro p5200 (16GB ram)

Windows 10 latest update

Happening in V 4.9.12 (Quadro version)
Happening in V 4.9.49 (Quadro version)

13mil mesh --> 26 mil voxels

very very sluggish. Task manager/performance manager not showing any stress....

very puzzled. Suggestions?

(I didn't see any optimization options in preferences)

• Reputable Contributor

Test it with a sample scene/model from the splash screen. If it occurs with those as well, then it eliminates it being a problem with just the mesh you are using. I have no problem going way above that polycount. Remember, VOXELS are basically PIXELS...3D pixels, with an adaptive Mesh "Coat." So, SIZE MATTERS. The larger the object is on the grid, the greater the density. It's a lot like working with large scale images in Photoshop. RAW files may be a bit more sluggish to work with than JPG or PNG files

• Reputable Contributor

Perhaps Reboot and delete the Options.xml from the MYDOCS/3DCoat. 4.9 directory and see if that was the culprit. I would also try and use the DX version.

BTW, when you say the voxel tools are slow and laggy, can you specify which ones you were using and how you were using it? A screen recording might also help. I can pass that on to Andrew, or you can email (support@3dcoat.com) it to him so he can follow up directly. It doesn't happen on my end...except using the MOVE tool, and there is a reason for that.

• Reputable Contributor
1 hour ago, Andre said:

Ok, rebooted and deleted options.xml

No change, all tools laggy, even moving the mouse w/i the program is laggy, choppy, stutters.

DX version same.

Move, Rotate, etc.. same as well. 

Thanks

Ok, that tells me there is something going on with the graphics card (or input device like 3dconnexion spacemouse or Wacom Tablet).Try updating your graphic card driver, wacom tablet driver + use the DX version of 3DCoat. It's not the application, because it's working fine on my computer, and I only have 64GB of RAM.

• Carlosan changed the title to [Solved] Voxel repair, sculpting... very slow
  • Reputable Contributor
On 6/20/2020 at 3:50 PM, Andre said:

Good call!  It was the 3DConnexion driver. I uninstalled, immediate performance boost. No more sluggish, choppy, laggy movement or performance in 3DC.

thanks!!!!

That's good to hear you found the culprit. I recall someone else recently having a similar problem with their 3dconnexion device driver, and that fixed it. 

AbnRanger,

If I could ask another question:

Copy Clay is the perfect tool I need right now on some 3D scan mesh cloning. I'm using the settings I found online:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Fill on

Blend on

strength 1

Bend Laplacian

clear data first

press LMB over bumpy area

press LMB over smooth area

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

However,  after using the tool for about 3 or 4 clone clicks, it always freezes and crashes the program.

Should I be using Elastic or some other 'new' settings?

thanks

Andre

• 2 weeks later...