3DCoat Forums

Sculpt Layer with Paint Layer

stusutcliffe

Go to solution Solved by liok,

• Advanced Member

I find it difficult to explain,

I dont like the sculpt layers because I keep sculpting on the wrong layers so when I delete a paint layer I no longer require I lose sculpt info I want to keep and vice versa.

If I switch off sculpt layers in the prefs they get reactivated when I open the scene that has them.

Basically I have a sculpt layer with vertex paint on Layer 1 what I think I want to do is flatten the sculpt layer and move the vertex paint to layer 2 then switch off sculpt layers in the prefs as I dont need them for now.

sorry if this is just gibberish, Im confusing my self now.   I want to extract the paint and sculpt from one layer and make it two layers, paint info one,sculpt info in the other.

• Reputable Contributor
6 hours ago, stusutcliffe said:

I find it difficult to explain,

I dont like the sculpt layers because I keep sculpting on the wrong layers so when I delete a paint layer I no longer require I lose sculpt info I want to keep and vice versa.

If I switch off sculpt layers in the prefs they get reactivated when I open the scene that has them.

Basically I have a sculpt layer with vertex paint on Layer 1 what I think I want to do is flatten the sculpt layer and move the vertex paint to layer 2 then switch off sculpt layers in the prefs as I dont need them for now.

sorry if this is just gibberish, Im confusing my self now.   I want to extract the paint and sculpt from one layer and make it two layers, paint info one,sculpt info in the other.

You can always reduce the Sculpt DEPTH OPACITY to Zero on a layer, to basically hide/remove the Sculpt information. Or duplicate a layer that has both Sculpt and Vertex Paint > with only DEPTH Channel active hit the DELETE key. It will remove all depth channel information.

• Advanced Member

Ta for the help,

Im struggling to get my head around this. I think its because I have info in Layer 0  which I dont think you can get rid of. Think I am just going to have to live with it for this thing, then turn off sculpt layers for the next job.

I hope ther is an option to turn off Sculpt layers in the final release . I can see their use, but when you keep sculpting on the wrong layers by accident things start turning messy ,a bit like when you paint on the wrong layer but doubly so.

I just do simple stuff.

• Advanced Member

I found a solution to this I think.

I had to send of my model as an FBX so a client could work on it. So I brought it back in and now all is perfect ..sculpt is on Layer 0 paint is on Layer 1  , nice and simple . Before I had two sculpt layers 0 and 1 . So switching off all the beta tools for now.

Apologies if this makes no sense to anyone.

What would be the best way to bring an FBX back. I used the 'vertex paint and big reference'  I think it was called. I could not find an Import FBX button anywhere ....probably did not look very hard.

I was starting to like the new curves tools, but cutting off is still leaving faceted faces.

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor
12 hours ago, stusutcliffe said:

Ta for the help,

Im struggling to get my head around this. I think its because I have info in Layer 0  which I dont think you can get rid of. Think I am just going to have to live with it for this thing, then turn off sculpt layers for the next job.

I hope ther is an option to turn off Sculpt layers in the final release . I can see their use, but when you keep sculpting on the wrong layers by accident things start turning messy ,a bit like when you paint on the wrong layer but doubly so.

I just do simple stuff.

Erase Brush in the Paint room (with just DEPTH channel enabled) will erase all sculpt layer info under your brush...or just hit the DELETE key to completely remove any Sculpt Layer information on a layer you may have accidentally sculpted on. I never found it to be a hassle in any way. You will get used to it, as it's very powerful and and flexible.

• Advanced Member

Ta for the info.

I think you need to be here .There are all sorts of permutations on this one.

Dont necessarily want to delete if all the best stuff is in that layer,and its got the paint I want. just merge down. But I think having a stuff in Layer 0 didnt help as you cant merge down to that layer...who knows.

Im sorted now, but thanks for the tips I will keep note.

I will practice more with this on my own stuff, not an actual job.

• 1 year later...
  • Solution
Carlosan
This post was recognized by Carlosan!

liok was awarded the badge 'Helpful' and 1 points.

HELL YEA, found the solution, was struggling with SL for 3 years, I basically never want SL, as I don't need to sculpt non destructively 99% of the time, but as everythign we sculpt is being stored on a paint layer by default, when deleting or doing whatever with this paint layer like toggling it off and on, the scene very often break, retopo objects explodes, sculpt layer information gets re-applied randomly on random objects ect.. 3DCoat become unusable very fast with SL.
BUT
If you simply DECIMATE (geometry>decimate) the SL info gets baked on the obejct (like it should by default until you decide you neeeed SL, like in Zbrush.) The same way like you re-sample. But as on some object re-sampling/voselizing is NOT possible, (single faced, flat no volume obejcts ect..) decimating is one way to do it, you loose your topology but whatever, this just saved me several days of work on a character that started to explode once it was nearly finsihed as I just tried to clean my layers for painting.

• Like 1