3DCoat Forums

FBX Format.

stusutcliffe

• Advanced Member

Ive been exporting via FBX. But my client says its massive in Maya and could I make it smaller. So ,in Transform I scaled it to 10 percent and exported it again...it was still massive . So after hours of fiddling with scene sizes and wott not I tried again and this time it seemed to be the right size.[ well in Blender anyway, still waiting to hear back about Maya] Maybe I accidently clicked the required button,I dont know.

I read he FBX has been updated recently, could that have been a bug? Maybe I had to save the 3dcoat scene or something before exporting.  Im at a loss with all this.

• Advanced Member

Check your units in 3dcoat. I define cm and import in 3ds max exactly the same size. Your client can adjust scale on import or maybe it was set wrong scale accidentally in import dialog.
Though i have problem what saved file is too big, even optimized mesh with 6kk polygons store 500mb in 3ds max))

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

Ive been working in mm, but it does not matter I can change to any unit and its massive in Blender. If I reduce the model to 10 percent of its size ,its managable in Blender. Clients not got back to me yet, Im sure he can just import 90 percent smaller in Maya ,youd think so wouldnt you.

I start most of my sculpts in coat using the generic mannequin as a size guide . he seems to be about 190mm in my layout. I thought that would be a reasonable size for digital maquettes.

If any one knows how to start off in 3dcoat about this size and and export it so it appears that size in other software.

Over the years and all the software ive tried nothing has ever matched up, so I gave up in the end ,cos mostly its hobby and it doesnt matter, just wanted to get it good for client.

So there is your challenge folks export the generic 3dcoat mannequin( non segmented one untouched in 3dcoat) to Blender/Maya as an FBX and have him not be massive...then tell me the settings....ta!

Edited by stusutcliffe

• Advanced Member

Thanks for the trouble you are taking to look at this.

If I follow those settings ,it is still an enormous default size in blender.

I usually import to Blender at .04 size to make it managable for me. I think my client could do that in Maya ,maybe they are lazy. ( The settings in 3dcoat dont seem to affect the export size.)

I think you are lucky that it works fine in Max.

• Advanced Member

Brilliant, now we are getting somewhere:)

I have been holding back on the latest betas cos I am  in the middle of a project , Im on 4.2 and 4.3 .They are missing this option. I vaguely remember reading that FBX had been worked on, this must be it.

I will start with a fresh brain and refreshed software in the morning. 

Thank you so much for everyones help.